Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009

orionmetzger is on a distinguished road
question on florida waterways

so I've made the choice to buy a sailboat, i've found a few in florida that meet my requirements, I've even managed to assemble what might look like a crew to help me sail whichever one i choose back to savannah (although none of them ever sailed, 1 powerboater and 2 newbies who are willing to help and pay for beer :P).

only issue is some of the boats i'm looking at are on floridas WEST coast, and i don't have the time to sail her all the way around. (we're ALL in the army, and they don't take kindly to time off, lol) i know there's some kind of canal across florida, but i can't seem to find any maps or info, if anyone could help me out... cause if i cant get it through i might have to settle for one on the eastern coast, even if it isn't my favorite.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Here is a start......
Can't help with local knoweldge, But I do remember hearing that the water levels were way down last year.

Okeechobee Waterway Boating Information & Directory
Okeechobee Waterway

From: The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | Date: 2008 | The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2008 Columbia University Press. (Hide copyright information) Copyright information
Okeechobee Waterway or Cross-Florida Waterway, 155 mi (249 km) long, across S Fla., from Stuart on the Atlantic Ocean to Fort Myers on the Gulf of Mexico. Its main segments are the St. Lucie Canal, Lake Okeechobee, Lake Hicpochee, and Caloosahatchee River. The shallow (6 ft/1.8 m) waterway has four locks and is used by small commercial and leisure craft. It is also an outlet for the floodwaters of Lake Okeechobee.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-29-2009

orionmetzger is on a distinguished road
you rock, i was just to retarded to find it.
Old 01-29-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Here is a very good link from The Army Corp of Engineers. Lots of good info including bridge clearances.
Click on the points of interest and it brings you to another page with all the valuable information.

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Divisi...OCS/owwmap.pdf

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White