SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Ouch $$$ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/50947-ouch-%24%24%24.html)

WanderingStar 01-29-2009 11:59 AM

Ouch $$$

I know, we all suffer the same thing: sailing is expensive. I'm the proud new owner of a 39' ketch, planning to sail her home from Florida in May. That's the good part. But to take care of my crew, I bought an epirb ($), a liferaft ($$$), assorted other equipment ($$), charts, gps($) and so on.
Today I called the boatyard. Of course I need a bigger mooring, with heavier chain, and a larger ball ($$$). I think that all of this is going to end up costing at least 15% of what I paid for the boat. I knew it was more expensive to upsize, I guess I'm just in sticker shock.
Maybe I should just be content to sail my dory. I could even cruise it, But Jane won't stay aboard that one.
Thanks for listening.

JohnRPollard 01-29-2009 12:04 PM

Yeah, it hurts.

But all through Sailnet you will find folks recommending potential sailboat buyers to reserve 10-20% of the purchase price for refitting/equipment/etc. So maybe that will make you feel a bit better, i.e. that your expenses are pretty typical.

The good news is most of these are one-time costs.

wchevron 01-29-2009 12:10 PM

john is right. most are one time costs, until next year, when you will have another bunch of one time costs.

JohnRPollard 01-29-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wchevron (Post 440172)
john is right. most are one time costs, until next year, when you will have another bunch of one time costs.

:D :D :D

Shhhhhhh!! We're trying to help here.:D

WanderingStar 01-29-2009 12:21 PM

LOL, oh thanks.

sailingdog 01-29-2009 12:36 PM

welcome to the wonderful responsibilities of being a boat owner....now you know why we all joke about a boat being a hole in the water into which we throw money....we're joking, because it is so true.

WanderingStar 01-29-2009 02:32 PM

I've owned boats for twenty years, but they were all smaller! Even so, I think my twenty foot sloop cost about 50 bucks every time I used her. That was with frequent use and do it myself maintenance. I can hardly wait to see how much she costs to haul and paint.
Don't tell my grlfriend, she's already jealous of the boat.

tommays 01-29-2009 02:37 PM

And now we know why i stick with a J24 with a winter take it home trailer :D

chucklesR 01-29-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingStar (Post 440162)
I know, we all suffer the same thing: sailing is expensive.
Thanks for listening.

Who's listening, we are too busy crying into our empty wallets.

craigtoo 01-29-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingStar (Post 440162)
I know, we all suffer the same thing: sailing is expensive. I'm the proud new owner of a 39' ketch, planning to sail her home from Florida in May. That's the good part. But to take care of my crew, I bought an epirb ($), a liferaft ($$$), assorted other equipment ($$), charts, gps($) and so on.
Today I called the boatyard. Of course I need a bigger mooring, with heavier chain, and a larger ball ($$$). I think that all of this is going to end up costing at least 15% of what I paid for the boat. I knew it was more expensive to upsize, I guess I'm just in sticker shock.
Maybe I should just be content to sail my dory. I could even cruise it, But Jane won't stay aboard that one.
Thanks for listening.

Sounds like an evil ploy to get out of buying a round next time we meet at Cantebury...

:D :D