SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Portland Liveaboard Ops? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/50953-portland-liveaboard-ops.html)

akoutdoors1 01-29-2009 03:04 PM

Portland Liveaboard Ops?

Hello,
I'm relocating to Portland,OR and need to find a marina that allows liveaboards, has a short,or no, waitinglist, and is less than $300/mo for a 35 footer. Any recommendations?

Moonfish 01-29-2009 06:03 PM

I lived aboard for 3 years in the Portland area (moved away about 6 years ago). I lived in 3 different marinas:

Rocky Pointe, Scappoose - About 20 minutes west of Portland on the Multnomah Channel ( a very serene, peaceful stretch of water that connects on one end in the Willamette River, the other in the Columbia). Not a bad place, w/decent amenities. It's a hundred yards or so off Hwy 30, but that wasn't too bad, either. They did a fairly good job of keeping up the place. Secure, gated parking. Had a boat yard on site, too.

Scappoose Marina - A private marina like Rocky Pointe, this is one of the nicer marinas in which to liveaboard in the Portland area. About 2 miles west of Rocky Pointe on the Channel. Quiet, well kept docks and amenities. Has a nice little "clubhouse" for residents. One of the nicest and cleanest private marinas in the area (well, at least it was 6 years ago..)

McCuddy's Marina - On Hayden Island in N. Portland. Great location, right in the heart of the busy N. Portland Harbor. Fairly cheap owners, though. Any repairs were done with the least possible work involved, in both materials and labor. Had OK amenities, but annoyingly had to pay quarters for showers in addition to the "liveaboard fee" (what was the fee for, any way? We couldn't figure it out why other than they could...). Can't beat the spot, though.

And I moored a boat, but didn't liveaboard, in the Hayden Bay Marina, which is on the same island in the Columbia River. Owned by a California corporation, they have 3 marinas on the island. Very nice, very well kept, and they do have liveaboards. I would have lived there but for their policy of no cats (I had two aboard). I think the company is called Columbia Crossings, but not sure.

There are a few more, but can't recall the names. At least you'll have some decent choices, and the slip rents (again, 6 years ago) were under $300/mo for a 35 footer. I had a Gulf 40 and the most I paid was $320 at McCuddy's, including the liveaboard fee and electricity.

blt2ski 01-29-2009 09:34 PM

You might also try the email list at Cascadia There is quite a few MISTY's ie from the portland area that could make sure you found a good marina besides the ones listed above.

marty

akoutdoors1 01-30-2009 03:23 PM

Thanks,
I got on the Cascadia list. Good suggestions. Scappoose, Rocky Point, McCuddys, Hayden... anybody else with info about these? I assume that Hayden still does not allow pets. How about the others?
Brian