Boat ID - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-30-2009
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,398
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Boat ID

Saw these on Sydney Harbour recently - any ideas as to what they are?







Thought the first one might've been a Baltic 42 but I don't think so...
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 01-30-2009
billyruffn's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,281
Thanks: 5
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 10
billyruffn will become famous soon enough
The second one, blue sail cover, has the look of a Van de Stadt. It seems to be too long for the Samoa 47 or Tasman 48. It may be the Tonga 56, but the little bow sprit detail is similar to that found on the 47. All are custom-built using stock plans and so are subject to modifications. The boat in the photo has a "dodger" that doesn't match the designer plans for any of the VdS boats, but neither does the dodger on mine (the Samoa 47 below).
Attached Thumbnails
Boat ID-sunset-001_resize.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 01-30-2009
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 14,669
Thanks: 68
Thanked 192 Times in 184 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If the first one is a Baltic it's an older one... most of the Baltics I've seen have somewhat sleeker lines. If it's a tumblehome hull it may be an older Alden if indeed it's a North American design.

The second looks to me like a Chuck Paine design, probably Able Marine or Morris built if not locally custom built. Another outside possibility is the BC built Cooper 501 but if so that's a particularly nice looking example...

The third is clearly a purpose built racer, in all likelihood locally designed and built.. it's not as if you Aussies don't know how to draw and build quick boats!
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 01-30-2009
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,398
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
The second one, blue sail cover, has the look of a Van de Stadt. It seems to be too long for the Samoa 47 or Tasman 48. It may be the Tonga 56, but the little bow sprit detail is similar to that found on the 47. All are custom-built using stock plans and so are subject to modifications. The boat in the photo has a "dodger" that doesn't match the designer plans for any of the VdS boats, but neither does the dodger on mine (the Samoa 47 below).
BR,
She's 48'. I got the name and checked the Oz registry. I'll have a look at the VDS website bit somehow I don't think so.

That's a nice one you posted. Lovely looking boat. You should be proud , as I'm sure you are.
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 01-30-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 01-31-2009
chall03's Avatar
No longer on Sailnet
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,513
Thanks: 14
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 12
chall03 will become famous soon enough
Billyruffn, you have one fine looking boat there.
__________________
* No longer on Sailnet. Reach me by PM.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 01-31-2009
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,398
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
If the first one is a Baltic it's an older one... most of the Baltics I've seen have somewhat sleeker lines. If it's a tumblehome hull it may be an older Alden if indeed it's a North American design.

The second looks to me like a Chuck Paine design, probably Able Marine or Morris built if not locally custom built. Another outside possibility is the BC built Cooper 501 but if so that's a particularly nice looking example...

The third is clearly a purpose built racer, in all likelihood locally designed and built.. it's not as if you Aussies don't know how to draw and build quick boats!
Almost totally convinced she is not a Baltic. It was my first guess but no. I cannot find a single Baltic that fits the bill.

Unfortunately we didn't get to speak with the crew but I did detect a North American accent which could of course mean US or Canada. Her registry said NV........

Has that quite distinct twin cockpit layout which is what first made me think Baltic.
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 01-31-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 01-31-2009
billyruffn's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,281
Thanks: 5
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 10
billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
That's a nice one you posted. Lovely looking boat. You should be proud , as I'm sure you are.
Thanks -- I'll tell the owner you like her (she's fixing dinner at the moment).

FYI, BR was built in steel in Western Australia in 1993-94 and was originally in the Aussie registry as "Belle". She is hull #21 according to my VdS "certificate of authenticity". There seem to be a number of Samoas in Oz, some built in AL and others in wood composite, and quite a few in Europe. There aren't many in the US -- Beth Leonard and Evan Starzinger (sp?), who write frequently for Cruising World, have one of the better known Samoa 47s, Hawk. I think there are probably 50-60 in service worldwide today. IMHO, it's pretty hard to find a better offshore cruising design anywhere.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 01-31-2009
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,398
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Thanks -- I'll tell the owner you like her (she's fixing dinner at the moment).

FYI, BR was built in steel in Western Australia in 1993-94 and was originally in the Aussie registry as "Belle". She is hull #21 according to my VdS "certificate of authenticity". There seem to be a number of Samoas in Oz, some built in AL and others in wood composite, and quite a few in Europe. There aren't many in the US -- Beth Leonard and Evan Starzinger (sp?), who write frequently for Cruising World, have one of the better known Samoa 47s, Hawk. I think there are probably 50-60 in service worldwide today. IMHO, it's pretty hard to find a better offshore cruising design anywhere.
VDS has always seemed to have following in Oz. Generally speaking great boats. Ours may be a tadge small but we love her for what she is.

We've often thought that if we came across a larger version of her we'd be hard pressed not to make the leap. Unfortunately the only ones I seen have quite poor owner built interiors.

For an older 34'er Raven has a lovely interior and it's hard to settle on anything less.

ps - the deck saloon turns out to be a Jarkan 48 DS. Oz design, semi production. Only one for sale is asking $700,000. Ouch !

edit pps - the vds madeira 44....comes close to my ideal
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 01-31-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 02-01-2009
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,851
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 12
Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Andrew..last one is a Brenta 42, the 2 first ones are..ugly OLD SHOES!!.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 02-01-2009
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,398
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Andrew..last one is a Brenta 42, the 2 first ones are..ugly OLD SHOES!!.
Spot on Alex.....about the Brenta anyway. Bit of a chick magnet, you'd have to think. Even I could probably get laid if I had one of them. I was quite taken by it when it went by. Quite a smooth piece of kit.

Now I have checked out the website. Is this boat porn or is this boat porn?

B-YACHTS

Have a look at the 60. Hell, for that matter check out the 38DDs.
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort Jeff_H Sailboat Design and Construction 193 10-31-2013 09:29 AM
Naming and Renaming Your Boat Sue & Larry Cruising Articles 0 12-15-2003 07:00 PM
Fine-Tuning the Autopilot, Part Two Dan Neri Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 10-13-2003 08:00 PM
Performing in Light Air Brian Hancock Learning to Sail Articles 0 01-15-2003 07:00 PM
The Balance of Hull and Sails Steve Colgate Learning to Sail Articles 0 05-25-2000 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.