What I think of the boats at the Strictly Sail Chicago - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Alex, thanks for the tip on TAP AIR!!!

As for the boat show... i'm filled with envy. We don't have any boat shows around here that are worth a crap. They are all stinkpots with an occasional Hunter, Catalina & Mac thrown in for the sailors. The best "boat show" i've ever been to was walking the docks in Cascais... there are so many awesome boats there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2009
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
no..the cabin does not offend you when you walk in...it's actually quite polite...

Old 02-03-2009

morgan5152 is on a distinguished road
GIU,

You spoke favorably of the older Beneteau's, What year range do you favor for say 32' to 36'? I am asking as that size range is where I will be looking when I move up someday.
Old 02-03-2009

marty9876 is on a distinguished road
Funny your comment on the Catalina. I want to like those boats more than perhaps I do and it's the sillouette. Something with it just does not work for me.
Old 02-03-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Giulietta,

You can call me Alex

Thanks for the great write-up! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on these production boats.

Regarding the Hunter keel being tilted, that is because it is the northern hemisphere version. They also have a southern hemisphere keel, tilted the opposite direction to take best advantage of the Coriolis Effect. ( )

That's funny....I wonder if anyone has seen that..

I have to agree with you about the Garhauer hardware. It definitely has a sturdy look about it, but at the same time it seems a bit clunky to me.

Wouldn't it be interesting to design our own production boat? Something like this:

Beneteau/Farr Hull
Tartan "Beavertail" Lead Keel
Catalina Interior (?)
Hanse (Charleston/Sparcraft) Rig
Harken/Lewmar Hardware
Yanmar Propulsion
???
Reasonable $$$
A dream world where all this could really happen
John, that is exactly why I had my boat built..

1) I chose a hull I wanted, liked and knew would perform, (which then in 2005was only the IRC champion, and still is)
2) I installd a lead keel the way I wanted, (well the design people changed my opinion, later, but I agreed, so I decided)
3) I have a really nice interior, that is I think as good if not better than a catalina's
4) I do have a custom Sparcraft rig
5) I have yanmar propulsion
6) assuming what it is, the tag on my boat was reasonable..not cheap, but faire and just

So you see, the dream boat (for me), already exists...
Old 02-03-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel73 View Post
[B] The best "boat show" i've ever been to was walking the docks in Cascais... there are so many awesome boats there.
That boat show is open everyday, from 8 am to 7:59 am

just come on in..admission is free
Old 02-03-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Thanks Alex for writing up all those boats. You hit the nail on the head when you said the boat manufactures are making their boats with cheaper parts and materials to keep cost down. It was very evident at the Annapolis boat show. My 2006 boat is made so much better than the 2009. I wouldn't even consider the 2009 boat if I was in the market again for a boat. I am afraid with the world economy going down the toilet, boat manufactures are going to cheapen their boats even more. Island Packet this week just closed their doors until orders start coming in. I am hearing other US production manufactures are doing the same. The marine industry is in for another Force 12 storm like they experience in the 1980's.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 02-03-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
...Island Packet this week just closed their doors until orders start coming in....
Melrna,

That is news to me!! Wow. Do you have a link to any article where this was reported?

Predictions on who will be next?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan5152 View Post
GIU,

You spoke favorably of the older Beneteau's, What year range do you favor for say 32' to 36'? I am asking as that size range is where I will be looking when I move up someday.
I have allways liked Beneteau..mainly because we have so many where I live and because they did good with the first series..

I stopped liking them when in 2002 they went from the normal cabin shape to the one that is lower near the mast, as if someone punched the boat on top.

From there on, it's just not as good as it was, cheaper finish, etc..

If I were to buy a used beneteau today, I would not want one older than 1996-97 or newer than 2001..my choice would be a first off course, the 40.7, and for cruising, the 361..it's a really nice boat. get a good mast and boom on it, and what a boat.

Last edited by Giulietta; 02-03-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Alex,

Thanks for the write up, very interesting to hear your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
[B]Catalina[/B
If they carried that interior, and put it on a beneteau hull...it would be perfect...
Funny thing is that that is exactly what the wife and I have been saying during our search for a new boat….

Catalina 400 and Beneteau 423 where the two boats on our short list…