Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Sail boats for disabled people

Here is something I wanted to share with you guys, long time ago, and forgot.

However, at the boat show in Chicago, I mentioned it to someone, (I can't remember who), and now here it is.

It's about a program that Delmar Conde started..and I think it's pretty cool, as it opens the horizons a lot for less fortunate pepole.

He made 6 boats, replicas of the old 12 meter america's Cup boats, for disabled people and even has 2 made for paraplegic people, where the controls are done via electronic servos and tubes one blows air with the mouth to control main sail, ruder, etc.

basically you lie down inside the hull and the boat weighs 500lbs..It is a lead keeled boat, and they are now making many races...

For disabled, you are tied in, in a harness that releases in case of an emergency. These boats are very complete..cunningham, outhaul, backstay, genoa wisker pole (stored in the boom)..all the bells and whistles!!

I leave you with a few photos, and hope you enjoy..

Delmar built my boat, and is a man of multiple resources..he is also one of the best sailors I've met, and so are his kids..but above all Hearts of Gold...

Enjoy guys..tell me what you think? cool isn't it?

Just more opportunities for the less fortunate.

MINI DC

DELMAR CONDE web page

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2009
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Alex! It was me! Remember, I was telling you that I'm volunteering to teach sailing to disabled kids....that my Dad's in a wheelchair, how to get him out on my boat, etc, etc.

I've never seen these boats here in the States....has anyone else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 02-03-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
There is a fleet of something like this in Seattle, check with Seattle Yacht Club. Also, IIRC there are some boats that are used in the Olympics ie disabled version. There was some articles in recent rags, sailing world, and sailing IIRC.

Also local for me, is a group called "Outdoors for ALL" a disabled assoc that works on getting folks sailing, hiking and snow skiing. Not sure of the how and what the sailing part is using for boats etc. The ski portion is next to the bldg the ski school i teach for is at, and am somewhat familiar with the program in that I have done numerous clinics for the instructors, and how to improve the "normal?!?!?!" bodied skiing instructors.

It should not be that hard to find info on the web for this type of issue, I know I have seen it seems like very 3-6 months from different sailing mags how disabled folks are now out sailing, designs they use etc.

marty
Old 02-03-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Not the same but along the same lines. There is a sailing program in Chicago to help the physically disabled get on the water.Kristen, I think I told you about this already.

Welcome to Judd Goldman Adaptive Sailing Program

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-03-2009

jjns is on a distinguished road
For the Canadian version, west coast style, check out
Team UCAN2 - Welcome!

What these people can do is incredible.
Old 02-03-2009
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
There are a bunch of these boats in the US. Not really set-up for handicapped sailing as G- indicates, but could be easily done. There are the Mini 12's and the US 2.4 meters.

The US. 2.4 Meter Sailboat Class Association
Old 02-03-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Actually this is not new. There was a lady who was fully paralysed and crossed the English Channel in 2005 in a small sailing boat using "sip & puff" technology to set the sails, trim and steer the boat by appropriately sipping on or puffing into two straws to activate servos that did the work.

You can see the article here:

Quadriplegic woman sails solo across Channel - Times Online

A freind of mine was involved in the sip'n'puff that this lady used - he worked at the time for a company who were world leaders in this type of design.

But great that someone is now bringing this to a wider audience. I know that I would want to do something like that if I were incapaciatated in a similar way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-04-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Here is a Jeanneau of a MiniJOD as it was called, ie a mini 12M AC cup boat.

The Seattle NOOD's last yr had a fleet of these boats too! Not sure whom made the boats.
Old 02-04-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that a few years ago, 2005 or so, the multihull national champion in the UK was a paraplegic sailor in a customized Corsair trimaran.

There are quite a few disabled sailing programs around the US, as well as disabled sports programs.

Thanks for posting Gui.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
If you are in the Minneapolis Minnesota area the Wayzata yacht club has some disabled people that race sailboats and have even gone to the Olympic trials from what I understand. They teach racing to everyone though and are very friendly people. I spent a couple of summers on the looking for crew table and got on a boat most of the time. The classes they have coming up in the spring are very technical and had me lost until I got out on the water to see what they were talking about. Last I heard they were trying to buy some more land to setup a school of some sort. Anyway if you are in the area here is their address. Wayzata Yacht Club - Sailboat Racing