SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I need KNOWLEDGE on ODAY, help

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  terry-gufshoz 
#1 ·
I found a beautiful 31 ft 1985 ODAY. It is in the water and was a trade in for a new 40 footer. I do not know who the previous owner was. The brokers do not know the bottom specs.

The keel if 5ft 3inches but I am unable to find out what is manufactured of.

I have surfed the web, found specs but none on the keel material.

What is it?

I also see pearson oday. Since ODAY is out of business did pearson buy them out????
PS, I might have spelled Pearson wrong?

Where is Big Red?

Anyway thanks for anyone who can help.

#2 ·
Having once owned an O''Day 23 hardly makes me an expert, that said, these boats were your average garden variety coastal cruisers. From my experience, they used some chopped glass in areas of the boat rather than mat, I had two stanchion bases poke through the deck, the guy that repaired it discovered the abundance of chopped glass. The standing rigging was adequate but not overly robust, I lost the mast on a blustery day, probably my fault, I do like to go fast! They were not particularly sophisticated boats, somewhat utilitarian in design and build quality. They could probably be best compared to the Beneteaus, Catalina and Hunters made today, that is to say without the glitz of the stern rail puke seats, cup holders, furling everythings and cockpit picnic tables.

Depending on how you intend to use the boat will determine whether it is a suitable for you. My guess is that the keel is lead rather than iron but I wouldn''t bet the farm on it.

It sounds as it you’ve inked the deal, enjoy your new vessel.

#4 ·
O''Day thirty one,
LOA.......30''1"
LWL.......25''7"
Beam......10''9"
Draft.....deep..5''3"..shoal..4''0"
Disp......10,100lbs
Ballest...3,800lbs
Sail Area.436sq.ft.
Designer..C.R.Hunt.If you want to, you can get in touch with Hunt at their shop.
Hunt Boats in South Dartmouth, Mass.5089844744

Dennis

#5 ·
I had the topside surveyed and everything looks good so far. Not use to diesel engines. They sound and are so different that gasoline types.

The bottom has not been surveyed as yet but will be pulled This thursday. Out of complete curosity, I still don''t know what the keel material is. Most people believe it is lead but a few have said iron. Would still like to know.

I saw a 28ft, 1979 (not sure of the year) ODAY the other day and asked the lovely ederly couple that own it what their keel is made of. He said iron or lead, not sure but it''s real hard since there is no damage to it when he hits the rocks. OH BOY!!!!! Thank god that''s not my boat. However you never know, I haven''t seen the bottom yet.

By the way, I sometimes forget to thank everyone for their replies.

Thanks

#7 ·
A great site for getting info about O''Days is at Oday.com. The message board will give you answers to about anything that you can think of. The website is:
http://www.c-2.com/boats/index.tpl?fno=60

Another source for parts and advice is:
http://www.odaysailboats.com

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.