Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009
Jeffrey

Duck401k is on a distinguished road
another dinghy question

I need an 8 to 9 foot dinghy and I want the smallest engine I can to get up on plane...does anyone have an 8 or 9 foot inflatable that will plane on a small outboard....like a 3 or 4hp ?

Thanks for your input also wood slat or inflatable floor ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Get a fold-boat... and don't worry about getting up on plane. you just need to go from the anchorage to the dock and back again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 02-05-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
More HP = Plane

I think it is a bit of a stretch to expect to plane with a 3-4hp motor. I have a 9'9" Titan, inflatable floor & keel with a 5hp honda and conditions have to be just right to get up on plane. There needs to be enough ripple on the water to get some wind under the bow to help lift it on plane and I have to be alone with my 220 lbs or it just won't get up there. Most time I don't make it but there have been times when I can get 10-12mph on plane. Now if I had 6hp, or even better 8hp, or better still 9.8hp 2-stroke I am sure it would plane easier even with two crew on a 9.8hp. Those 3-4hp engines are just for dinghy dock service, if you want to plane (go fast) you need a bigger engine.
Old 02-05-2009
Jeffrey

It's not me that needs to go fast it is my 10 year old....do you guys remember the first time you were in a boat alone as a kid and it got up and went ? yipee
Old 02-05-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck401k View Post
It's not me that needs to go fast it is my 10 year old....do you guys remember the first time you were in a boat alone as a kid and it got up and went ? yipee
Wouldn't you rather that be a sailing dinghy when it happens?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-05-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck401k View Post
I still yipee today at 55 never mind 10, when the air gets under the bow and she starts skipping along on a plane, even at 10-12MPh it is still a cheap thrill!
If you want to plane, then really you want to play, and you need at least 6hp to have any real fun. When my wife & I get to the next marina or anchorage one of the things I enjoy doing most is getting out to explore the area in my dinghy. If conditions allow me to scoot around quickly I can go further, faster in shorter time periods, and have fun in the process. I use the dinghy for more than just dinghy dock service, I take it out in the bigger water and explore further away, I also use it to take the gas tanks over to be filled and to go get groceries. Some days I go down to the marina to sit on my boat then take the dinghy out for a run and I like to be able to scoot around when I do. It all depends on what you plan to do with your dinghy, just keep in mind that more HP is more weight, a 6+ HP engine will not be light. My 5hp honda weighs 60lbs so I leave it on the dinghy transom and tow the dinghy. A 2 stroke will be lighter for any given HP. If your dinghy is just for dinghy dock/shore service, a small dinghy w/small engine will suffice, if it is going to double as a toy powerboat then a bigger dinghy with more HP is required.
Old 02-05-2009
Jeffrey

Thanks guys.....I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Zodiac 11' air floor with a 5 hp...owner says it planes w/ his two stroke 5 hp..
Old 02-05-2009

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
I have a 9 foot West Marine with wood slat floor and a 3.3 HP 2 stroke Mariner (aka Tohatsu) outboard. With just me on board (213 lbs. this morning) it scoots right along in still water although I need to sit way forward to avoid transom squat. In rough water with two people it can be a long and wet ride. The engine is, I think, a bit small but it's nice and light. I'd like a bit more horsepower but I don't know if I would make the weight trade off. Getting the motor off the dinghy and onto the boat while the dinghy is in the davits is a little tricky now and I'd think twice about a heavier motor.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Old 02-05-2009

M275sailer is on a distinguished road
I have 9' Brig inflatable with an older Johnson 6 hp, mid seventies I think, that won't even plane? I guess I need to pimp my dinghy!
Old 02-05-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to be glib earlier, but it's just that I'm a traditionalist and I think it's important to introduce kids to small boats progressively. I am not against motor boats, in fact my son got his "driver's license" from the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary (which your son will need to do if you plan to let him operate the motorized dinghy) when he was 10 years old and is fully capable of handling them.

But we first taught our kids to row, then to sail.

Here my son stress tests the rig of one of our sailing dinghies (the one we built), in about 20 knots of breeze. No inflatable, even on a plane, can come close:

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.