SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What do you do for a living

What do you do for a living

7K views 63 replies 52 participants last post by  heinzir 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if Sailboat people evenly represent most employment options or if it attracts people in some jobs more than others.
Of course sailnet members are just a subset of all sailors but it might be interesting.
It does not look like I can edit a poll once started so if I miss your profession, for example I just notice I missed lawyer just put in in a message if you don't mind. Maybe a moderator can add jobs to the pole as they come up.
I know this may be too personal for some. If so I apologize just ignore it.

#3 ·
I can lead a hortuculture, but cant make her think!

Or

Nurserymen propagate for a living!

So where do I fit? Tradesperson as a landscape contractor with 2 horticulture degrees. one is in landscape design

marty

#4 ·
As soon as I posted I knew I would miss about half of the jobs out there. I thought I could edit the poll just like a comment but no joy.

#10 ·
I checked "technology" because it was the closest thing I could come to in the list.

I am a Marine Biologist with a major Northeastern Ivy-League University; studying whales and marine mammals.

#11 ·
I was thinking that Marine should have it's own category. I think being a Merchant Marine officer combines several of the above aspects.

I don't know what I would fall into. As a diving supervisor I am management, but a craftsperson as well. It also helps to have an understanding of technology and engineering. So mark me me down as jack of all trades master of none.

#13 ·
Greasemonkey / Designer

Depends on what the problem is that day :rolleyes: sometimes we even get to clean drains

Right now i am hanging off a fall restraint 22' up changing and oil seal on a mixer and just put back in 20 quarts of oil hope it doees not leak :eek:

#15 ·
Being as this is multiple choice, I guess closest s mgmnt as the owner, craftsman is as close as I can get for the blue collar construction part of it......then again, I have been called god, *&^*%&*^%*^ when I screw up to all things in between. Financial when it comes to making sure books etc are balanced and bid correct, medical when folks want to know what is wrong with their plants, need to design cement block walls, altho I have to admit, do not wholly understand physics, but enought to get into trouble...........maybe I should put all the above?

marty

#18 ·
Just to add: I'm retired Navy and retired via Social security stipends that they send me now. But as I said before, Am an instructor of Marine science for those who want their USCG Licenses.

#20 ·
I checked Craftperson because I think of my self as an auto mechanic first. But since I own the shop I have to wear a few different hats. Let's see, auto mechanic, shop foreman, manager, bookkeeper, CEO, salesman, building maintenance, IT director, telephone repairman, HVAC repair, varmint exterminator, and head floorsweep.

#25 ·
Darn, there's no category for "deskbound Washington bureaucrat" either! (I checked Engineering 'cuz my job title is Senior Environmental Scientist and my degree is civil engineering)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.