Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Delivery crew etiquette, plane tickets...

Hi all,
OK, please don't burn me at the stake for not knowing this already. As many of you know, our new-to-us boat is in new england, and in the spring, we'll be bringing her home to MD on a coastal trip. My crew will be family members and friends who are all experienced sailors (some more than others, but all capable).

My question is about etiquette. Of course, I will be paying for all provisions, any gear needed that can stay with the boat (and possibly some that won't), and generally trying to treat everyone well and keep my crew happy. Most everyone has their own foul weather gear, so I might have to buy an odd harness or lifejacket--no big deal.

The question I have is in regards to travel expenses (mostly plane tickets). We're all coming from different places, or on different days, which means some folks are going to have to fly up to meet us at the boat. In the past, when I've crewed in these situations, I had to pay for my own plane ticket, but I didn't have to pay for anything else.

What's the etiquette on this? Plane tickets add a big expense to an already expensive proposition, but I will pay for them if it's the proper thing to do, or poor form to do otherwise.

Thoughts?
-J
Old 02-06-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
If it's family and friends whom you've invited to join you for the delivery trip, they should arrange their own transport. This is not a professional delivery -- which would probably not cost a whole lot more than if you end up having to pay for all your friends' travel expenses.

I will be helping my brother deliver his brand new boat this spring from Maine. I would not expect him to pay for my travel. It's a junket, not a job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
What John Said;and based on what you outlined anybody who suggests you should pay their airfare should be told they can go on their own cruise, and give them the number of Carnival or Princess. LOL

Half of the people on this forum (myself included) would be happy to jump on a trip like that.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-06-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I 2sd what John said. I have helped friends move boats many times. I always looked at as a break even sort of thing. I pay to get to the boat, but you get some meals and drinks taken care of.

The time spent sailing with friends and the stories you will have to tell are priceless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 02-06-2009

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I paid my way to Portugal to sail with Alex on what was essentially a delivery trip, he put us up in his house and fed us until we slipped out to a hotel on our own to explore and not be in his hair. Couldn't imagine it any other way.

It's not a job, they aren't paid crew, they are taking a vacation on your boat - so what if they are expected to help with the boat, they'd pick up and put away if they stayed at your house wouldn't they?
Old 02-06-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I dont do anything on a boat unless it is because i want TO have the FUN

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-06-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
In January of '07, I helped a British chap sail his Worldcruiser ketch from the Abacos down to St. Thomas. I paid my airfare from Melbourne, Fl. to the boat and then from St. Thomas back home (being a retired airline tech helped in my return home). It was my best sailing experience....ever, so I was glad to furnish my own transportation and would gladly pay the going rate. So yeah, it's pretty much an excepted practice on all the "crew wanted" websites I've visited. The captain paid for all food aboard and some darn nice meals in St. Thomas's 'French Town' (sp?) as well. Airfare is a small price to pay for adventure! And that it was!
Old 02-06-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
I have to add, however: If I had a friend or family member that I really wanted to share this experience with, and they could not afford to get themselves to/from where they needed to be; I would gladly make the arrangements for them.

That of course, is situationally specific
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-06-2009

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I'm cruising my boat to Bermuda this spring/summer and I'm paying for my son's airfare but the rest of the crew are on their own if they're only going one way. I supply the boat, the food and drink underway and we're doing a leisurely cruise, not a rushed delivery. I would expect to give them more if it was a rushed November delivery but this is supped to be fun.
Old 02-06-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone! Everyone coming on the trip can afford their own ticket, so that's not an issue. And no one actually suggested that I pay their way. They're coming because it should be fun.

I asked mostly because I'm starting to outline "the plan" for the crew, and what to be clear about what they'll be responsible for (getting there), and what I'll be responsible for (most everything else).

Thanks again!
-J