SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking For Local Knowledge San Francisco?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Fstbttms 
#1 ·
We just moved to San Francisco and need crew with local experience for a move of our boat from Richmond to Redwood City. A recommendation for a reasonable delivery captain or recreational sailor with San Francisco Bay experience would be much appreciated. Anticipate paying near the top of the pay range for what should be a one day sail.

#2 ·
the local sailing rag is latitude 38
Latitude 38 - The West's Leading Sailing and Marine Magazine

there are several folks listed there. Also there are two licensed captains advertising on craigslist.

As I understand it, the essential knowledge of Redwood City is to go in on a rising tide, that's good local knowledge for most of the south bay below Candlestick Point.

hope this is helpful

Mike
San Rafael

#5 ·
Why don’t you sail down to Redwood City yourself? If your Pearson is in good shape, this shouldn’t be much of a problem, just a long day. The big thing is to plan your trip according to the tides. When are you contemplating making the move? I can check your route against the currents if I know the date. When the South Bay ebbs, you will be sailing against the (strongest) current in the ship channel. Is your engine in good working order? (Can you provide some specifics on your boat- I’m not that familiar with Pearsons.) It’s an easy reach across the slot to Pac Bell Park. As is the leg from the Park to the San Mateo Bridge. Depending upon your draft, you may need to stay in the channel and to the west of the San Bruno Shoal. South of the Bridge, the channel narrows considerably. Stay in the channel, there is no water to speak of outside of the channel. Also, be careful going up the Redwood City Slough, I don’t think that they are maintaining that channel anymore and again, it gets real shallow, real soon. Are you in the new marina there? It looks real nice in the Pictures from Lat 38. I haven’t been down that way since 2000-2001 so my knowledge isn’t that current, but you will gain the local knowledge pretty quick once you’re down there. Unfortunately, my dance card is a little full for the next month so I can’t help you, but you should do fine on your own.

#6 ·
What Marina are you moving to? Is your boat a Pearson Commander 26? I might be able to help you move her but I need more info. Where are you berthed in Richmond? My boat is also berthed in Richmond. Have you sailed the boat before or is it recently purchased? Go to the "song chain" over on the off-topic forum and get your posts up to 10 posts so you can send me a private message; easier to chat that way...

#7 ·
Now I’m a bit embarrassed. My first boat growing up was a Pearson Commander 26. The boat we want to move from Richmond to Redwood City is our Beneteau First 435….

This is not much of a sail for a boat like this, but I kind of make it a rule to have some local knowledge aboard the first time I’m on a new body of water…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.