Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Whaleship Charles W Morgan Photos

Here are some pictures I took this week of the Charles W Morgan, which is undergoing a three year restoration. The CWM is the last remaining wooden whaleship.

SOUNDBOUNDER: Charles W. Morgan Restoration

There is also a photo gallery by the NYT of the October hauling. Just follow the link.
I hope you enjoy it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SOUNDBOUNDER; 02-14-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: revise link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
That thing is massive!!

I know some Japanese "Marine Researchers" that may be interested.
Old 02-10-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Here are a couple of photos of it's brethren, from Wainwright Alaska

I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-10-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
If you are ever cruising Long Island Sound you can dock at Mystic Seaport. Home of the Charles Morgan. The cost of joining the Seaport is a break even with the discount on docking if you dock 2 nights or more. One of the advantages of being a member and docking there is after they close the gates to the public you are free to roam the grounds.

The second day we were there I awoke to a misty morning, just before daylight. I swear, I heard the men in the rigging on the Morgan boat getting ready to make way. I was sitting in the cockpit of my boat 25 yards away. In the fog. I could see no one about the Morgan. But in the Early morning twilight, I could hear the creaking of wooden blocks, a shanty being sung. Orders being barked by officers. Canvas sails filling in the breeze. Men straining while turning the capstan to raise the anchor. I kept sipping my coffee, closed my eyes and just listened.

I open my eyes sometime latter and she was still at her dock.I closed my eyes again and a understanding came to me. That the Soul of the Morgan and the Souls of the men that served her still go to sea. I knew in my mind, that I had witnessed with my ears her getting underway for another voyage. I wonder to this day, where those souls were off to that morning. Maybe the Horn or maybe the North Atlantic as she had done so many times before. I will never know. But off they went before the sun rose. I so wished I could have joined them.

It is my story and I sticking to it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 02-10-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Great story, Bubb. It reminds me of one that John Conway told in his book Catboat Summers, where when fogbound at anchor in Tarpaulin Cove, he heard and saw a similarly eerie sight. Well worth the read.

Soundbounder, nice photos. This one in particular more than amply illustrates the concept "bluff bow":

DSC02872.JPG (image)

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-10-2009

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Great story, Bubb. It reminds me of one that John Conway told in his book Catboat Summers, where when fogbound at anchor in Tarpaulin Cove, he heard and saw a similarly eerie sight. Well worth the read.

Soundbounder, nice photos. This one in particular more than amply illustrates the concept "bluff bow":

DSC02872.JPG (image)
Thanks!! I wasn't aware of the term "bluff bow". It certainly is unique.

The photos don't really do justice to how MASSIVE the ship is. It was really amazing to see it.

Old 02-10-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Good story Mike, maybe you heard some of my ancestors.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 02-11-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Very cool SB

great tale Bubb, how's that song go ? 200 yrs to late ??

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 02-11-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Very cool SB

great tale Bubb, how's that song go ? 200 yrs to late ??
you know it too, don't you!

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 02-11-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-11-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
If I recall correctly, my late father trained either as a Sea Scout or as a cadet merchant marine on RRS Discovery, the ship that took Scott to Antarctica on his ill-fated expedition. He joined up just short of his 16th birthday in 1941 (presumably lying about his age) as he was tired of being bombed out by the Germans and thought, counter-intuitively in retrospect, that crossing the Atlantic in clapped-out old steamer at the height of the U-boat wolf packs would be a better course of action.

I visited it in 1973 in London and I recall it was a massively built thing.

My father was also a whaler in Antarctica in 1947-48. I possess a sperm whale's tooth he acquired from this voyage. He said it was about the worst job he had ever had, and he'd seen horrible things during the war.