Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Captains Courageous is on!

Oh, god, what a movie... Great dismasting scene... Manuel is dead... oh, man, I'm in tears...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Yeah he dies every time I've watched that movie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 02-11-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I don't remember him dying in the book.

It's been a while, though.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-11-2009

Pollard,
Nobody reads books these days. TV is where it's at. Get with the program! I bet you don't own a horseless carriage yet. Why, I'll bet your boat has sails on it!
Old 02-11-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
The Original movie with Lyonel Barymore(sp?) as the captain was the best one made.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 02-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
The Original movie with Lyonel Barymore(sp?) as the captain was the best one made.
This is the one with Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney, made in 1937. The captain sounds like the same guy who played Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life. Is it the same movie you're thinking of, Boasun?
Old 02-11-2009
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Lionel Barrymore played one of the fishermen (called Portugee?) in the movie with Spencer Tracy as the Captain. One of the best movies ever made, sailing or non.

Old 02-11-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Um...
Lionel Barrymore played the Master of the vessel while Spencer Tracy played Manuel, the Portagee.

Fred has a copy of it sent to him last year. He doesn't think he resembles the young boy, played by Freddy Bartholomew, at all and he's certainly correct in that. There might be some resemblence to our Portagee and the one played by Tracy, though. I have not trouble in imagining our Portagee singing to the fishies!
Old 02-11-2009
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Um...
Lionel Barrymore played the Master of the vessel while Spencer Tracy played Manuel, the Portagee.

Fred has a copy of it sent to him last year. He doesn't think he resembles the young boy, played by Freddy Bartholomew, at all and he's certainly correct in that. There might be some resemblence to our Portagee and the one played by Tracy, though. I have not trouble in imagining our Portagee singing to the fishies!
I knew that. My bad. And I had John Carradine, who played Long Jack, mixed up with Lionel Barrymore. My frayed knot is unraveling.

Last edited by heinzir; 02-11-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Is it permissible for me to post this from WIKIPEDIA?

The film tells the adventures of Harvey Cheyne Jr. (Freddie Bartholomew), the arrogant and spoiled son of an indulgent absentee-father, business tycoon (Melvyn Douglas). Harvey falls overboard from a transatlantic steamship and is rescued by an American fisherman of Portuguese descent, Manuel (Spencer Tracy), on the Grand Banks and taken aboard the fishing vessel. Harvey fails to persuade the captain to take him ashore, nor convince the crew of his wealth. However, the captain of the vessel, the We're Here, Disko Troop (Lionel Barrymore), offers him a low-paid job as part of the crew until they return to port months later. With no other choice, Harvey accepts. He is befriended by Captain Troop's son, Dan (Mickey Rooney), and begins to learn the ways of working at sea. Under the guidance of Manuel and his equally tough crew-mates, he thrives, and learns that his former practice of cheating, bragging, and whining, don't go far in real life. Tragically, Harvey loses his surrogate father when Manuel is drowned in an accident as the boat heads for port. Eventually, the schooner returns to port and Harvey is reunited with his father, who had given him up for dead (not having any word since his son's disappearance - the vessel "We're Here" has no radio). The father rushes to the fishing town (Gloucester, Massachusetts) and is surprised to find that his bratty, self-centered child has become a mature, considerate young man. The father also learns that he has neglected his motherless son and learns the joy of being a good father.