Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Sailboat gear on the brain

Last night, I had a dream that one of my coworkers (who does not sail as far as I know) was showing me which anchor chain and rope rode he had purchased for his Sabre 34 Mk I (not-so-coincidentally the same model as our new boat). OK, that means I've got this stuff WAY too much on my brain. Not surprising, I suppose, with all the research that goes into figuring out what we need to buy, fix, update, etc., when you've just purchased a boat. But this is getting ridiculous. We need spring to come so I can actually be sailing instead of dreaming about boat parts.

For what it's worth, the chain was 5/16 HT and the 9/16 3-strand.
Old 02-11-2009

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Hook up with Craigtoo here on sailnet, he's got the same boat, about the same year if not exactly the same and is in Maryland also. He just did a pretty dang decent refit of his boat.

I dream boat gear about once a week, the rest of the time it's sex.
Old 02-11-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I dream boat gear about once a week, the rest of the time it's sex.
You dream about boat gear once a week and boat sex the rest of the time? Since you are a cat-guy, you must be a two-timer!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
I'm not so sure I wouldn't go with something heavier, just in case. Of course, in MY dreams, we're weathering a hurricane while holed up below with several friendly vixens, so we don't want to drag.
Old 02-11-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Just don't get 150' of 5/16's for rode..... Ya ever try to hoist 100' of chain plus a 35# CQR without a windlass when nothing is on the bottom?
Old 02-11-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Keep dreamin' Jim, I do. I'm dreamin' about more weekends spent on anchor this summer than last. While you're dreamin' you might as well dream about a BBQ grill, going to need one of those on anchor too. Well, maybe not need exactly, but what the heck-you're dreamin'.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 02-11-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Just don't get 150' of 5/16's for rode..... Ya ever try to hoist 100' of chain plus a 35# CQR without a windlass when nothing is on the bottom?
I'm on the Chesapeake, so no need for 150' of chain. I'm thinking more like 30' - 35' of chain and 200-250' of rope rode. Still pretty heavy if I had to haul it all up, but most of the time, we'll be anchoring in relatively shallow water.
Old 02-11-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Jim, you'll be anchoring in 15' or less. With a scope of 7 to 1, and allowing for 5' of bow height, for a total of 20' from anchor roller to bottom, you shouldn't need more than 140' total. Given the bottom features of the Chesapeake you'll be well served with 10'-20' of chain IMHO.

More important will be the type of anchor. I would imagine your boat may come with a Danforth which is very good for the Bay. I also hear great things from those who have a Bruce. There's been a lot of talk on Sailnet about anchor styles, someone thinks the Ronca is the best thing since sliced bread...but I don't know anyone using one. For me, the Danforth has served well, on the recommendation of a cruising friend I'm going to give the Bruce a try this season. I'll let you know what my experience is.

All the best...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 02-11-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
Jim, you'll be anchoring in 15' or less. With a scope of 7 to 1, and allowing for 5' of bow height, for a total of 20' from anchor roller to bottom, you shouldn't need more than 140' total. Given the bottom features of the Chesapeake you'll be well served with 10'-20' of chain IMHO.

More important will be the type of anchor. I would imagine your boat may come with a Danforth which is very good for the Bay. I also hear great things from those who have a Bruce. There's been a lot of talk on Sailnet about anchor styles, someone thinks the Ronca is the best thing since sliced bread...but I don't know anyone using one. For me, the Danforth has served well, on the recommendation of a cruising friend I'm going to give the Bruce a try this season. I'll let you know what my experience is.

All the best...MGM
Hey MGM, yeah the boat has a Fortress FX-16. It's a little small in my opinion. I'm familiar with Danforth holding, and I like having one on board. But not a big fan of it's tendency to pop out with 180 degree wind shifts (experienced this first hand). So we're not sure where that leave us, but we'll probably go with something that does better with quick resets as our primary, overnight/multi-day anchor on the bow. The Fortress will be a great secondary/back-up anchor--it's light weight make it easy to dig out of the locker when needed.

On the subject of grills (your other post), we received a great Christmas present of a West Marine gift certificate for that purpose. I suppose we could use it for anything, but since the boat doesn't have a grill, and we love grilling out, we might as well get one!
Old 02-12-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
On the subject of grills (your other post), we received a great Christmas present of a West Marine gift certificate for that purpose. I suppose we could use it for anything, but since the boat doesn't have a grill, and we love grilling out, we might as well get one!
West Marine here in Toronto has the Stow And Go on sale for CDN$99. I just picked it up with a mount for less than I was going to pay for the 15" Magna kettle. And I get a larger cooking surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.