Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
For the ones that love the new Hanse

Freinds,

Recentely I was at the Chicago Boat Show with a few friends from here..

And as I mentioned in a previous thread (SEE HERE), I do like the boats.

They are well built, a little cheap on the fixture materials inside, and flooring, and a few oher things, but overall are very good sailers, and excellent boats for casual coastal, and with some modifications, even some bad ass racing. The look alie racing sales gimmick torpedo keel must go..sorry.

However, one of the problems I have more trouble in passing, and explaining people, is what I think of the boat, ONCE IN THE WATER...I treid to show that to Tim and Jim at the boat show, but they could not see it and I could not explain it..so I use a photo instead.

It's hard to see in the brochures, videos, or when the boat's are on display...but look now, once in the water.

What I am talking about is how ugly the transition from cabin to coamings is, making the boat look absolutely out of balance, "nose heavy" and chuby.

This oat in the photo is the 37, but they are very similar in the cabin cockpit architecture, as they share the idea.

Tim and Jim..do you see what I tried to explain???

Look at the height on the boom, and the steering pedestal, the boat looks like a center cockpit...guess having room inside is possibe, at the exchange of a one damn ugly deck...

sorry

The boat is good, just looks weird

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Alex, I see what you mean. Not the sweetest lines.
But I wonder, how does the height of the boom affect the sailing abilities?
When the boat is heeling and under sail, the boat might take a better picture too.
Old 02-13-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
But I wonder, how does the height of the boom affect the sailing abilities?
Less sail area, then to compensate higher mast, and so on...
Old 02-13-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I really like Hanse too, I'm glad you think they are good boats. That one pictured is pretty ugly, but I like the rest of them, very sleek and clean, very german
Old 02-13-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
It's like a Hunter crossed with a Grampian 26 (very "old shoe" Canadian boat of the 1970s). Ew. (English expression of disgust.)

The Hanse boats: I have seen a few now, and all I can say is they bug me the least of the less expensive production boats. This is not a recommendation, and I'm sure they are great for "casual coastal" sailing, as Alex puts it, but I don't like their looks much and the build quality isn't as good as some of the worthy ideas inside the boats.

I have toured this 37 and the Hanse 400, I believe. I preferred the 400 and the price was good, but I wouldn't take it offshore.
Old 02-13-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I wouldn't take it offshore.
Don't think anybody ever suggested it to be an offshore boat.

Alex stated they would make a good Costal Cruisers,
Quote:
and excellent boats for casual coastal

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-13-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
It's like a Hunter crossed with a Grampian 26 (very "old shoe" Canadian boat of the 1970s). Ew. (English expression of disgust.)
Don't let Peter from HMP here you say that. He won't let you in the locked doors!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 02-13-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
That one does look weird! That bimini enclosure holder seems to be the issue, along with the rounded stepped down cabin.

Otherwise, spouse like those boats too. probably a 34-37' version of some sort.

Marty
Old 02-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Don't think anybody ever suggested it to be an offshore boat.

Alex stated they would make a good Costal Cruisers,
And I concur. But the salesman kept going on about the "Lloyd's 'A' Ocean Rating" or some such, so the company is suggesting they are appropriate for offshore.

Either that or the Lloyd's Rating system has become meaningless. There's a separate EU rating system also based on letter values. Neither is particularly familiar to attendees of the Toronto Boat Show.

Or the salesman was lying. I wasn't listening closely. I haven't found that's a good idea among boat salespeople.
Old 02-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrea View Post
Don't let Peter from HMP here you say that. He won't let you in the locked doors!
Peter has a custom-built CS 36 with vast amounts of lay-up in the hull. It is very possibly heavier built than my steel boat on a per square foot basis...I am unlikely to object to Peter's boat, as it contains a large number of beers and spirits I have enjoyed in the man's company...

And I like Grampians, although I prefer the rarer 2-34 model. Oh, I see...you mean they once owned a Grampian? OK. I get it.

I was actually referring to the style of the coachhouse front. See? Looks like a baby's forehead and makes for a short foredeck.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.