Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I just reported a floating log/beam in NY harbor

I just called up the coast guard to report a floating beam in NY Harbor that I spotted while walking along South Street Seaport. The beam is about 18 feet long and 9"x9" and is floating right near the concrete wall, heading south at about 1/4 knot.

Here's where it is:
Google Maps

The USCG was very professional on the phone. I have to get back to working, so I won't be sure of the outcome. If they get it in time, no one will hit it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Been there done that... We ran up on a telephone pole floating just under the surface coming out of Hell Gate a couple years ago. Quite the thrill, bow went straight up into the air, then saw it slide down the port side & behind us. No damage, other than some frayed nerves.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 02-17-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
This brings up a question. I often see references to the potential of hitting stuff in open water (e.g. - dropped container, etc.) and losing a keel, etc. Is this something to really be concerned about - or is it essentially the lighting-strike-odds kind of thing? And how do you guard against it?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-17-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I saw a telephone pole floating within a mile of the CG station in a busy waterway. They had no interest in going out to lasso it
Old 02-17-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This brings up a question. I often see references to the potential of hitting stuff in open water (e.g. - dropped container, etc.) and losing a keel, etc. Is this something to really be concerned about - or is it essentially the lighting-strike-odds kind of thing? And how do you guard against it?
In open sea conditions, it's very difficult to guard against such events, but they are also quite rare. Obviously someone sailing across an ocean is doing a lot of night sailing which makes things worse in that regard too.

Around our area such debris is the norm rather than the exception. Plenty of rivers and creeks coupled with logging and boom towing operations can leave some impressive amounts of floating debris - from small branches to full sized logs. The worst are the "deadheads", half sunken logs that are floating vertically just at the surface (or below).. have seen them as large as 3-4 feet across - hitting one of those square on is going to do damage to anything. We do keep a sharp eye, and I feel for the high speed powerboater who has to try to spot these things as they zoom along at 25-35 knots. Lots of boatyards get summer work replacing shafts and props and struts as a result.

Lots of the 'survival at sea' stories got started by the vessel hitting some large object at sea.. whales, containers, who knows....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-17-2009

nolatom will become famous soon enough
they will put out a broadcast Notice to Mariners, so anyone listening on 16 will be told to switch to 21A and will be told of the obstruction. At this time of year, most of the craft will be commercial, and will probably hear it.

And no, I don't think the CG is interested in hauling logs. But they will tell you how to maybe not hit it.

And if you don't think the commercial craft around NYC are fully heads-up, we need only refer to the USAir ditching. They do listen, and they do respond quickly...

Last edited by nolatom; 02-17-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I feel for the high speed powerboater who has to try to spot these things as they zoom along at 25-35 knots.
I don't
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-17-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice

Just in case it gets deleted at "Mein Kampf"...you can send them here to look at it!!!

Old 02-17-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
man you are fast!!!
Old 02-17-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road

That's Superb!
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok