Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

So here is the front view of my boat, On the right of pic, or port side of boat, you can see a line running from the cabin top to the bow, ie tackline for AS, I could probably follow this general line from the back o the cabin to the bow, that would leave the jack line out of the way of the hatchs, both forward v-berth for sail changes, and anchor locker.

Does this seem to make sense for this boat? I would then have to go forward on the cabin top, or stop at the shrouds and reclip as I went forward, if the seas are that bad etc.

marty
Old 02-27-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
The boat I crew on uses webbing jacklines from bow cleat to stern cleat. In addtion to that there are swaged steel cables attached to padeyes on backing plates along both cockpit seats about 4" from the cockpit floor. These can be reached from the companionway so you can clip in before leaving below decks.

I plan to rig my boat in a similar fashion. I also believe the philosophy that something is better than nothing so have considered just buying webbing and tying loops in using frost knots. Climbing tests have show that tubular webbing will break before a frost knot gives so you're not loosing any strength and it saves on the expense of a sew loop and snaplink.

There is an outfit on ebay selling packages with a set of webbing jacklines and two elastic tethers with quick release snap shackles at fairly reasonable prices. I'll probalby at least buy my tethers from these guys but may opt for 2" webbing from REI and tie in my own loops.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
How much are the tethers on ebay? do you have a link to them?

marty
Old 02-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
How much are the tethers on ebay? do you have a link to them?

marty
Price is dependent on boat size but seem pretty resonable to me.

eBay Store - Best-Bargainz: Anchor Lines Chain, Cargo Restraint Recovery, Turnbuckles
Old 02-28-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I looked at the offerings on Ebay. I can't tell by the listing if these jacklines and tethers are nylon or polyester. What is the rated breaking strength?

We are only talking safety equipment here!!!!! I would have these questions answered before I bought anything at any cost!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I looked at the offerings on Ebay. I can't tell by the listing if these jacklines and tethers are nylon or polyester. What is the rated breaking strength?

We are only talking safety equipment here!!!!! I would have these questions answered before I bought anything at any cost!!!!!
I assumed this company was using standard 1" tubular webbing as used in rock climbing and perhaps doing the stitching themselves.

You are correct that might be a bad assumption and is something you could easily e-mail or call the seller to discuss. I was just pointing out the existance of the company not endorsing them.

That said, Jacklines and tethers are not expected to be highly loaded or to take huge dynamic loads so tubing suitable for climbing appliations should be more than adequate.
Old 02-28-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
That said, Jacklines and tethers are not expected to be highly loaded or to take huge dynamic loads so tubing suitable for climbing appliations should be more than adequate.
Midlife, I had the occasion to be thrown off a boat several years ago as a result of a collision. It that time I did not a harness on, however it did reinforce to me the need for strong jackline and tethers and harness. You take a 220 pound Man and throw him or have him fall the 6 feet length of a tether you do have some shock loads involved.

Yes, I know that I have strong opinions regarding this subject!

Never Forgotten

Old 02-28-2009

thisisus is on a distinguished road
Does anyone clip harness tethers to aluminum toerails. Thinking more for when in the cockpit....not for going forward. Wondering about that vs padeyes in this area.

Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL
Old 02-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisus View Post
Does anyone clip harness tethers to aluminum toerails. Thinking more for when in the cockpit....not for going forward. Wondering about that vs padeyes in this area.

Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL
I never thought it is a good idea to clip on a rail or life line. The idea of tethers is to keep you on board. It is better to clip on to a center point in the Cockpit. My boat has a 10 + beam. This way with a 6 ft tether even if I go over a life line I am not going to hit the water and be dragged, as I have only 1 extra foot of tether. I would be dangling about the hight of the toe rail maybe a little higher.

Never Forgotten

Old 02-28-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
isus-
As bubb says, bad idea to clip onto the rail. If you have a three foot tether clipped onto the rail, that still allows you to go three feet overboard when the boat tacks and the high rail becomes low side. Better to clip onto something on the centerline.