Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Jacklines, again

I have no real experience using jacklines, though I have certainly considered them. One thing that has always occurred to me about jack lines is that I see great value in them on the foredeck, but would always be concerned about them being a royal pain from the companionway aft. Either they will be flat along the rail, in which case you can still go overboard on the side you are hooked in to, or they are in the way in the cockpit. We all know that if you go over the edge, it is exceedingly hard to get aboard a moving boat. I would be much more inclined to have the jacklines start at the aft end of the coach roof and go forward, and clip into hard points in the cockpit except when going forward. This would have the extra benefit that the jackline being shorter, it would have less slack. Does this make sense to the rest of you?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
yes, to me it does
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-18-2009
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Abbreviated Jack Lines - I concur

I start my Jack lines about mid-cockpit level, and run to just behind the bow. We have 3 padeyes to clip into in the cockpit, and can reach the jack lines from inside the cockpit (this is essential). I can also pee from the stern from the padeye - but just barely (my preference). I have no reason to be walking along the deck in rough weather aft of the front edge of the cockpit, since I can reach the rail easily from the cockpit. In a larger boat, however, the jacklines may need to extend farther back. There may be advantages to longer jack lines, but these work for my needs.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 02-18-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Anyone got a picture of a good jackline setup? (Smack probably wants to see them too, as our lead BFS aficionado.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 02-19-2009

Faith of Holland is on a distinguished road
Before our cruising life began, I went to a construction sling outfit (anytime you get a marine item from a non marine outlet, you save money), and bought a 300 foot roll of 2" webbing, and had them sew a loop in each end. Then I took it to Faith and looped the loop through and over the starboard bow cleat. I ran to the starboard stern cleat, inside of the jib traveller, so I only had to contend with the jib sheet from the traveller to the winch to go from bow to stern. I then ran this line to the port stern cleat, to move on the aft deck. With all the cleats tied off, I cut it and welded the raw end here.

Then I began at the port bow cleat, and did the same, but cut it at the port stern cleat. Using two tethers, I could safely walk the perimeter of Faith, a 56' monohull, and always clip the second tether before releasing the first to go over the sheets, or cleats.

The 2" webbing had much less stretch than the 1" available at the chandlers, and was less money too.
Note the yellow jackline wrapped on the aft starboard cleat below.

Gregg
Sailing Faith: Home Page

Last edited by Faith of Holland; 02-19-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2009
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Anyone got a picture of a good jackline setup? (Smack probably wants to see them too, as our lead BFS aficionado.)

Yellow nylon webbing jack line does not roll under foot. Note hand holds on the dodger frame. Since this picture was taken I have wrapped the SS bars with french hitching and turks heads of tarred seine twine for better grip.

In the cockpit we have two heavy bronze padeyes.

More photos on the web site. Link in the sig.

Old 02-20-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Very nice pictures. very nice.

Anyone else have pictures of jacklines on your boat?

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 02-20-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Vega,

Looks like something I was toying with for my boat, but my spreaders are inward along with cabin.

Anyway, Building behind you? Poets Cove, Pender Island, BC? And Kenmore Air Float plane to boot?!?!?!?!

marty
Old 02-20-2009
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Good eye

Poet's Cove. I've been thinking about getting my float-plane endorsement ever since we got here. Check this out in Friday Harbor

Last edited by vega1860; 02-20-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
We were up there the 3rd weekend in June, 18 months ago for a jeanneau owners roundezvous. Nice place, Hope to be up there this yr, had to cancel last yr for various reasons.

I do like how your forward jacklines run, but with my shrouds being inward, and wanting to walk forward it is a PITA for them to be inside. So need to work on that part/thought about where to put them at some point in time.

Marty