Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
It is unlikely that the boat can be abandoned (in event that it comes to this). The state environmental people are likely to investigate the boat, have it removed, and seek out the owner so he can pay the bill and probably a fine. Here, there was a boat that was anchored out in the river, and was deemed by the authorities to be a hazard after it drug in a storm and endangered other boats and a bridge. Sea Tow was called in and now there is a $3K+ plus bill awaiting the owner.

Also, the quicker the owner gets this boat up, the better the chance he has of salvaging it. The longer it stays in the water, the more difficult and expensive it's going to be to clean it up. This may well be one of those situations, where rather than messing around to try to do the salvage on one's own, it would make more sense to get (and pay) for someone commercially (who has the correct salvage equipment and know how) to get the job done. It's unfortunate, by this is going to cost the owner either way. I assume there is no insurance on the boat, otherwise, the owner would have called the insurance company and they would already would have placed something in motion.

The owner can't walk away and in the end he is going to have to either get the boat up on his own or pay for someone else to do it. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
I initially posted this is a related thread found in the Gear and Maint forum. It seems more appropriate to repost in this forum/thread. Sorry for the repost but I think these are valid questions...

In situations like this, are there any concerns with salvage rights or piracy with someone swooping and and taking her right from underneath you? I can only assume you must be very carefull as to who you involve to raise her as well as how......Can something as simple as receiving a line from another boat call into question salvage ownership?
Old 02-27-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
This resting place is starting to look more and more permanent. A nice boat is facing a sad fate.

I ask whether anyone knows if the state is likely to intervene here. I recall from a thread about a similar situation involving the loss of a Pearson Flyer on the Maine shoreline there were comments that the state would go after the owner for the cost of removal. What rules apply here, do they change much by state, or by shoreline versus inland?
Apparently SC lacks the marine resources to perfom that kind of enforcement even if they have laws like you suggest.

I was speaking to a charter Captain about a 40+ foot sailboat aground right in Georgetown, SC visable from the town docks. He told me someone abandoned the boat at anchor a year or more previously and it had at one point dragged down on some other anchored boats during a storm. The locals drug it back where it was, and reanchored it, but it broke free during a hurricane and grounded itself and there it sat.

I too would have thought the State would take action to remove such vessels and try to recoup costs from the owner but apparently not. Its probably a budget issue as there would be a lot of cost both in removing the vessel and disposing of it and in tracking down the owner and there is no guarantee they could recover the costs. It could be a case of slelective enforcement though if you're a State resident and they can track you down without much effort.
Old 02-27-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
You guys need to stick your I-told-you-so wanker talk in a pipe and smoke it. There's a lot of mud here in the low country. Boats get stuck all the time, and it's oftentimes a big pita to get them out. You'll probably be shocked to learn that local officials here are not retarded. I repeat: they are not retarded. They see this kind of thing every now and then and don't flip their wig as certain folks on this forum are inclined to do. Either offer a hand, encouragement, some advice... or mind your tongue.
Old 02-27-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
I hope you get through this. I can fully understand your feelings. I would probley be in the same sit if it were me, I don't have 5 grand in liquid to get the job done either. You need to understand that alot of guys and gals here have that kind of cash and really are not in the "same boat" as us sailors on a low budget. Keep trying everything you can to not lose your boat and I pray it works. We all here are on your side and wish you the best, just some don't come off that way, they mean well. Hang in there brother.
Old 02-27-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Have you contacted the insurance company? It seems to me the longer this goes on the closer it gets to a total loss claim. Perhaps they might be willing to step in to save themselves a buck or two...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
This resting place is starting to look more and more permanent. A nice boat is facing a sad fate.
Not so! If you look carefully at the pictures; two things come to mind. One is that at low tide; if the boat were floating she would be in about 3' of water and not nearly so laid over. If 5' of tide comes in daily; that means the boat would be sitting in about 7' of water and could easily be pulled free. All that needs to happen is the hull to get pumped out.

In addition; another careful look at the photos has me thinking that if the stern line is still taught; the stern is actually being pulled under by it. If he cuts the stern rhode it's possible that the bow will tip back down and the cockpit coaming will rise back up out of the water so it can more easily be pumped out.

I posted these comments in the thread on Gear/Maint but there was no reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSter
In situations like this, are there any concerns with salvage rights or piracy with someone swooping and and taking her right from underneath you?
Yes; there is. I'm not sure but once the boat is considered "abandoned" salvage rights can be claimed by the first person to recover it. I don't know what the criteria are for "abandonment" so I suggested to the owner that he set up camp on the shore to protect it from salvors and/or looters since it is close to shore and visible from a highway bridge. I was not trying to make him feel bad or anger him about it; it's just a suggestion to help him protect HIS boat from someone wishing to take advantage of his situation or a salvor thinking the boat was left there as a total loss. A laminated note taped to the hull claiming it as "his with all salvage rights" might also be a good idea to protect it from other salvors.
Old 02-28-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post

Yes; there is. I'm not sure but once the boat is considered "abandoned" salvage rights can be claimed by the first person to recover it. I don't know what the criteria are for "abandonment" so I suggested to the owner that he set up camp on the shore to protect it from salvors and/or looters since it is close to shore and visible from a highway bridge. I was not trying to make him feel bad or anger him about it; it's just a suggestion to help him protect HIS boat from someone wishing to take advantage of his situation or a salvor thinking the boat was left there as a total loss. A laminated note taped to the hull claiming it as "his with all salvage rights" might also be a good idea to protect it from other salvors.
You guys are delusional to think there is any boat value left in this situation - I made a post prior to this event that a boat left alone on anchor will result in either a major recovery bill or a total loss - I think the biggest concern here is to see that one doesn't suffer both of these consequences.
Sky Clipper likes this.

Last edited by sailingfool; 02-28-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Considering that the OP is trying to do this on a very low-budget, I'd guess that there is no insurance involved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-28-2009
Sailboat adick

BUSHORE is on a distinguished road
I'm on your side and wish you the best.

JP