Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009
Old Sailor

Whissell is on a distinguished road
Good Morning Gentlemen:

I'd have to say, that if she were mine, I would somehow be making it very clear that she hasn't been abandoned and that the intent is to recover her, to avoid someone else claiming salvage rights. I'd be keeping a diary of daily attempts to recover her, whom I spoke to, whom I worked with etc...I'd have it clearly posted on her that she is not up for grabs in any fashion.

Oldsailor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Sailhog...

"you guys need to stick your I told you so wanker..."

You seem a bit bitter. Just what provokes such a entry as above? I noticed that while you posted twice on this thread, you didn't offer any real suggestions as to how to get the boat refloated, but you had no trouble trashing others' comments, including those who suggested that in the end the boat will have to be moved. The various posts, some with workable ideas and some that won't work, have been offered in a compasionate and helpful manner. And I don't see anyone except you making any remarks about your officials..wow.
Old 02-28-2009
Old Sailor

Whissell is on a distinguished road
NCC320
Sir: Pull in you mainsail abit !

Not bitter at all. Entry was not an attack, it was ment as advice for covering his ____. Didn't offer any suggestions as don't know the laws of your country, but having been involved in a battle over a vessell, a daily diary was an invaluable tool when accounts needed to be reviewed. I'm not in anyway suggesting the vessel has to be moved, nor did I trash someone elses comments. My heart goes out to the gent who's vessel is in trouble. I've been sailing for 30yrs and would be the first to help a fellow sailor in any situation, including you should the need arrise. Is that not what this is all about, assisting others ?

Oldsailor
Old 02-28-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Whissell,

My previous post was not aimed at you...in fact, I agree with you as well as with a good many of the other posts here. My post was really aimed at Sailhog's last post.

Still, I'll do as you suggest and pull in the mainsail abit. Good sailing and I hope the owner of the grounded boat is successful in salvaging it.
Old 02-28-2009
Prone to wandering

SRsail is on a distinguished road
Man I was sure hoping that when I got back to this thread, I'm not on line much, that I would be reading some good news. I am really sorry to see you or anyone esle have to go thru this. I understand that money is a problem for you right now, but I think your going to have to get your hands on some, some how. The only thing I can think to do is get a small barge with a small crane and lift it while you pump out the water. Sorry I know thats not what you want to hear, and not much help if you cant get a hold of the money. Best of luck to ya, if I was any where near there I would try and lend a hand to help do what ever, even if it was just moral support.
Old 03-01-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Well all I can say is that regardless of if it is "worth" it to the owner to raise his sunken boat; it is the responsible thing to do and may in the long run save him from a wage garnishment for wreck removal or environmental fines. The best I can offer him is advice and moral support since I am on the west coast; regardless of what I think about the overall situation.

I have seen completely sunken boats in salt water re-floated and repaired. I have seen old tired boats completely gutted and restored to better than new, so if the owner wishes to restore this boat to it's former glory I see no reason why it can't be done. It's just a matter of money, and sweat equity.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 03-06-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
any updates from Distant Star?
We are all pulling for ya buddy.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-08-2009
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Ive just been staying off sailnet for the last week or so. I got the boat turned some more, but nothing else. Its been warm all weekend and the rednecks have been out in full force, so i havent done anything to it this weekend. Im going out tomorrow at low tide and attach my 7 55 gallon drums to it how ever i can and then see what happens. If i can ever get it turned around, i can pump her.

We are lined up to be hauled out once shes floating again.

As far as salvage rights goes, ive got all my info posted on the boat along with a notice that its not abandoned. The local DNR knows me and they are in that area all the time, so if they see any boats other than my old jonboat tied up, they will question things.

She will come back up somehow, im not leaving her out there to die. I already lost one boat before, and thats not going to happen again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 03-08-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hang in there. You'll get her back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-08-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Everyone is rooting for you. Good luck with it.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.