Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
okay as far as "attaching" the barrels. i would thread a rope under the hull tied like an inverted Y to each barrel ( like an anchor bridle on a cat ) and use a trucker hitch to tie it to the toe rail on the high side. this will allow you to pull them further down, using the hitch like a come along as the boat rises. i would also get some cheap ratchet straps from harbor freight and run them around the hull and the drums, you can extend them with old sheets and halyards to lock them in place.
the idea being the inverted y will stop them from floating up to the low toe rail, and when the boat starts lifting you can pull them down more. then use the ratchet straps to make sure they dont slip off the front or the back.
if there is any wave action there you can use it to, as she starts lifting, if the waves are bouncing the hull/barrels you should be able to get one at a time a little deeper as she bounces

once she is off and floating you can tell sailing fool to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2009
Sea Dweeb

RanAweigh is on a distinguished road
We are all pulling for you. Keep at it.
Old 03-09-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDistantStar View Post
Im going out tomorrow at low tide and attach my 7 55 gallon drums to it how ever i can and then see what happens. If i can ever get it turned around, i can pump her.
If you can; rig the drums so that you can sink and then re-float them. The key to getting them to help lift the boat is to force them to displace as much water as possible. If you tie them on while floating alongside the boat you might not get enough displacement to help lift the hull.

To rig them to sink and re-float you would need to run a hose in from the lower port that can allow you to pump water out; and a vent line on the upper port to allow air to flow in. If the drums begin to crush in from the loading you may need to use compressed air to pressurize the air inside the drums.
Old 03-09-2009
not Sully or Dandelion

MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
She will come back up somehow, im not leaving her out there to die. I already lost one boat before, and thats not going to happen again.
Good luck man.
As others have said. Get the drums as deep as possible.
Get the boat as light as possible. Take off boom, doors anything to get her more buoyant.
Old 03-09-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
We're still on your side and cheering you on!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 03-09-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
it is my hope that the next time I read this thread there will be wondreful news that Distant Star is afloat. Good luck and best wishes to you...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 03-09-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganPaul View Post
Get the boat as light as possible. Take off boom, doors anything to get her more buoyant.
I think his troubles are more associated with the volume of water inside her. The doors and boom are negligible weight compared to the mass of the hull, keel, and water that is currently inside. As soon as he gets enough buoyant force with the drums to raise the stern the hull should be pumped out (removing the tons of water that will become trapped inside). Getting the water out will make all the difference.
Old 03-10-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
SVDistantStar,

Give it a try, but I don't think 7 drums will be enough to do the job. Someone indicated that a 55 gal drum of water is about 450 lbs. So 7 would give at a maximum 3150 lbs. of bouyant force. Your boat weighs about ~16,000 lbs. not counting the water inside. I think you are going to have to get the cabin sealed off and get that water pumped out. The original pictures seemed to be at low tide and it's hard to tell how much bouyancy you could create at high tide with the boat pumped out. Still give it a try. You might still have to keep her healed over even then to keep the keel out of the mud, as it looks like the winds drove her pretty far up on the shore.

We had another area boat that drug in a storm and went aground on its side like yours on a sand bottom. One of the small contractors that installs small bulkheads and piers got that one off by dragging it. They had a barge with spuds (anchoring poles) and a backhoe. It didn't take too long. At least contact a couple of those types of contractors to see what they would charge. It might not be as much as you expect and they would get the job done quickly...no harm in asking. If you do it with the contractors, make sure you have in writing exactly what it's going to cost you so there won't be any surprises.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2009
STARBOARD!!

Yes; ~3k lbs of bouyancy if the drums are fully submerged and air filled. The problem is getting them positioned and then emptied of water. 3k lbs of lifting force might be enough to get the stern section and cockpit coaming above the level of the water, which would then allow the hull to be pumped out. Once up and floating it would then just be a matter of dragging her off of the shore; and I agree that adding weight to the mast to induce heel might be a way of "lifting" the keel off the mud.
Old 03-11-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't it be easy to screw plywood over the cockpit coaming, and pump out the water? If your boat was holed, wouldn't you try to stop the water from flooding back in before attempting to empty the water? That pump shown in the tender should do the trick. Break the suction of the mud with AIR. Adding water to mud, makes better mud. ever get you boot stuck in real mud? Can't get it out till what happens? (till ya get air in the area of suction) once she is floating, and you need to move into deeper water, PUMP AIR around the keel into the mud and winch yourself into deeper water. I hope this advice has been rendered useless already.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.