Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Well said Chall
I was 19 and probably was even more deficient in the judgment department than anyone here. I was just a whole helluva lot luckier. Actually there were four of us which probably exponentially decreased whatever sense we might have had. We set out into the Atlantic without once paying attention to the weather reports and got hit by one of the worst spring storms ever to hit the east cost. We survived -- because we had a very strong boat and were incredibly lucky. It could easily have been otherwise.
To paraphrase Shakespeare, DS made a grievous mistake -- and grievously has he paid for it. I'm sure that he's kicking himself 24-7 for the coulda,shoulda,woulda of the situation. I just hope he can put it behind him and has some smooth sailing, at least for a while. We should just let the poor guy alone
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2009

Wookie1974 is on a distinguished road
view it as the perfect oppurtunity to redecorate....worked for me after my divorce!

Wookie1974
Old 07-29-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
Well said Chall
I was 19 and probably was even more deficient in the judgment department than anyone here. I was just a whole helluva lot luckier. Actually there were four of us which probably exponentially decreased whatever sense we might have had. We set out into the Atlantic without once paying attention to the weather reports and got hit by one of the worst spring storms ever to hit the east cost. We survived -- because we had a very strong boat and were incredibly lucky. It could easily have been otherwise.
To paraphrase Shakespeare, DS made a grievous mistake -- and grievously has he paid for it. I'm sure that he's kicking himself 24-7 for the coulda,shoulda,woulda of the situation. I just hope he can put it behind him and has some smooth sailing, at least for a while. We should just let the poor guy alone

This is a BS arguement. This boat wasn't a victim of severe weather. It wasn't blown off a mooring in a hurricane and it wasn't left were it was due to emergency conditions. Those are things that could indeed happen to any of us.

What happened in this case was not any of that. This boat was put where it was put to save a buck, and it was not secure enough to handle even normal weather conditions. As owners we secure our boats to handle typical weather and take extra precautions when truly serious weather is predicted. This boat was put where even an average thunderstorm iwould put it in grave peril. Few of us would leave our boat in such conditions for more than a few hours, and only if we were close by and returning soon. If that was the case, I would have more sympathy but that is not the case. This boat was left in peril for days and weeks at at a time, becasue the owner could not afford to secure it properly. Now its on the bottom, and the owner has walked away.

Yes he lost his boat, but it appears that others have been left to pay the expense to clean up his mess.
Old 07-29-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Last time I checked 23 year olds make lots of errors of judgment. I certainly was no slouch! Last time I checked 23 year olds are accountable to the law as adults. The expense and removal of the boat are his responsibility NOT the taxpayers of South Carolina or Charleston. That is not giving him a hard time... that is saying yeah...you didn't listen and now you have to pay an even bigger price and you damn well don't have any right to my (tax) money to solve your problem nor do you have a right to walk away from the boat as you have done.
May I remind all the apologists that derelict and abandoned boats are one big reason why landlubbers enact restrictive anchoring laws that affect us all.

Last edited by camaraderie; 07-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Cam, You sound like an old fogie. Oh wait, you are an old fogie.
Old 07-29-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
That I am!
I do revel in my ability to contemplate my navel while you are hanging in the hot sun at the top of some mast however! Please continue your contributions to my social welfare for as long as possible!!
Old 07-29-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Cam I do take your point, and you are right.

Maybe part of growing up is indeed learning how to have the balls to man-up and fix problems of your own creation....

Rightly or wrongly, I just can't can't help feeling sorry for the guy.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2009
moderate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Rightly or wrongly, I just can't can't help feeling sorry for the guy.....
Well ...I can agree with that too!
Old 07-30-2009

mallo is on a distinguished road
Boats and Rocks, Don't go together!!

Don’t know if I should admit to it but been there, got the t-shirt…. But got the boat back and after 18 Months of hard graft re-built her, now last survey said she is in better condition than she has been for many years…..

That was a very bad day too………
Old 07-30-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay - that's it! We obviously have a couple of epic BFS stories in here, judging by the above posts. So:

mallo
bloodhunter

Report to the BFS THREAD and tell us what the hell happened!

Holy crap!