Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009

thinwater is on a distinguished road
Trouble in River City

OK, my borrowed boat had 4 flat tires on the way here, and by the time Mark and I found another one to borrow/rent, we didn't have much time. Also, the gas cylinders I brought only pump up about 2 bags each - we got 4 inflated, abour 1/4 of what I want.

If anyone in the Charleston area has a small gas powered compressor (construction site type), please post here ASAP. Cylinders of compressed air (divers tank?) would work also, if it can be hooked to a regular air line or has a barbed outlet to clamp a hose to. This is do-able but I'm gonna need some back-up while I'm out of my home territory.

Thanks,

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Kismet, I was checking out your website, is Erin & Bruno ( Love machine 5 ) Friends or Family ?? They were slipped a couple down from me until I moved. btw it's Erin & Bruno +1 now

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-30-2009

KismetP362 is on a distinguished road
Erin is my sister. Erin, Bruno and Dieago are family. We went to their wedding in france and shortly after they sailed back over to San Dieago. (via texas for an overland route because the price of the cannal has skyrocketed)

Yup, We're a boating family. I was on my parents boat last night installing his radar and tweeking his electrical system.
Old 08-30-2009

chandlerman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KismetP362 View Post
Yup, We're a boating family. I was on my parents boat last night installing his radar and tweeking his electrical system.
You're lucky. I grew up in a Car Freak family and was the black sheep who never cared about them except as essential transportation growing up in the 'burbs.

Now, I live in The City and own a sailboat instead of a car, a much better waste of my money :-) .
Old 08-30-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by KismetP362 View Post
Erin is my sister. Erin, Bruno and Dieago are family..
Right on, never spoke much with Bruno, but spoke often with Erin and Dieago's a cutie, We wish them the best

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-30-2009

Lessons learned

The rescue on the Stono was a "learning experience" if somewhat less successful than I had hoped. The tide doesn't stay low for very long, so loading and filling the air bags has to be done quickly. Looking at it philosophically, even if we hadn't had to find a boat, and even if the tide had been lower longer, we didn't have enough bottled air to pump up more bags, so we were at a dead end anyway.

On the bright side, I ran into a sailing pal this afternoon and he totally wants to be part of this. Bonus round: he has a Boston Whaler 19 and likes Charleston. Looks like in two weeks I'll head down there and take another stab at it. Anyone who wants to join in, let me know now as volunteer slots are strictly limited!

John
Old 08-31-2009

KismetP362 is on a distinguished road
If the whaler is big enough, you may want to look at a (HomeDepot Rented) Generator running a rented air compressor. For that matter you can do some research and see how big a GPH 110V pump you can get.

On a more important note: do you have any pictures to post from your attempt?
Old 08-31-2009

Air pumps, water pumps

No, we didn't get any pictures - two guys rushing to beat a rising, ripping tide doesn't leave much time to document the event. And it is my opinion that photos are not more important than results, though it might be nice to share the experience.

We could have rented a gas powered compressor, but they only put out about 10 cfm. Now, with the air stored in the tank, we might be able to blow up a bag every minute (about what it was taking us with the bottled gas) but it seemed like a heavy, expensive, noisy way to do things. I did have a gas powered 180 gpm water pump in the car if we had righted her.

John
Old 08-31-2009

timweiler is on a distinguished road
Photoshop?

Come on, how could it balance like that?
Old 08-31-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Thinwater,

As you found out this weekend, your window to do what you want is limited. Having multiple inflatable bags but only air to blow up two tells lots about your chances for success and the planning/preparation you have done. If you have any chance of pulling this off, you need to do some very exacting preparation. Think every step out in detail, and for each step of the way, have a detailed alternate to get around that problem if it doesn't work. Write down and review again and again the plans. Make sure you have every piece of equipment you need on hand in advance. Check each one out to make sure it works, and that it will do what you want. Couple up every component to make sure some missing or incompatible fitting is not going to sabotage your plans. If you need tow boats, or labor, make sure that you have firm commitments to be there. Just putting out an appeal is not likely to do it. Know exactly how you will attach gear to the boat so as not to damage it more. Bring more line than you think you will use...too much is not a problem, too little is. Same with inflation bags, drums,etc. and make sure you have a powerful tow boat....a jon boat and small engine in't going to cut it. From the pictures, my guess is that you have about a 10-15% chance of pulling this off, so you've got to do everything possible to make the effort work.

I, for one, can't imagine why you are doing this, since you're likely to spend far more on this boat to get it usable than if you bought one that is already afloat or in a storage yard. In any case, good luck, but please do the advance preparation.