Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009

bpoteat is on a distinguished road
Don't listen to these guys. Just go out there with some friends, a cooler of beer, maybe some rope or something with some random air tools, and just wing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I agree with bpot - have fun with it. As a matter of fact, how many kegs would you have to float to get this baby up? Just keep stuffing the empties into the cabin. Now THAT could be a party! I bet your turnout would improve dramatically!

And it would be freakin' epic to hear of a filthy Pearson 36 found adrift 5 miles off shore with 25 muddy salvagers passed out on her decks.

Keep at it dude!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-31-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
Hey, I know of an Albin Vega not too far from you...
Old 08-31-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Thinwater,

A couple of additinal thoughts you may want to consider:

What is the depth of the water at low tide and at high tide on the days you will be working. To get maximum working time, you should start your work as early as possible, ie. at maximum tide or before. Do what you can then, as the water ebbs, more of the boat will be exposed and the more you can do. This gives a working window of 12 hrs. before the next high tide. It miight mean working at some odd hours.

The boat is on it's side. Unless the water at high tide is approximatelly 10 ft., she is unlikely to come upright. Tlhis boat is full of water and even if your air bags are enough the float the hull, keep in mind that she is not going to be on her waterline, but more likely with decks awash or near awash. That means the keel is going to stay on the bottom even then if the water is less than 10 ft. (assuming 5 ft draft + 3-4 ft. freeboard). And all this assumes no real suction has built up between the mud and hull (somewhat unlikely).

Those hatches and any other openings are going to overwhelm your pump if you are not careful. Every open hatch or other opening needs a piece of plywood securely screwed down. These won't be water tight, but they will limit the inflow. Later, filling the holes in the fiberglass will be a small issue.

Since the water is not likely to be deep enough even at high tide to float her upright, you are going to need to keep her heeled way over. The normal way to do this is to have a boat or large anchor with a line to the masthead to keep it heeled on her side. But this is going to put lots of forces on the rig and boat. I recall that the shrouds had questionable attachment points in the beginning, so some sort of temporary rigging (low stretch -not nylon, maybe steel cable) lines around the keel and over the sides ?) is going to need to be rigged. How will you keep her heeled over?

If she is aground, the outboard is not going to have enough power to pull her off, so you have to have her floating. Otherwise, the outboard is just going to churn water. I watched this happen in our creek a few weeks ago as someone tried to pull a grounded boat (that was just barely grounded and largely floating). It didn't work. On the other hand, last year there was another sail boat that broke loose in a storm and went amost completely out of the normal water levels onto the shore. A pier construction contractor took his pile driver barge and pulled that boat off and refloated it. The difference was that the barge has two spuds (steel pilings) that the operator drove into the bottom first. Now there was something to pull against. If you really want the sunken boat, perhaps you might contact some of the contractors in that area with that kind of equipment to help you. Between the air bags, pumps, and the barge with spuds, you might get her off. It'll cost something, so determine this in advance, but it might be the cheapest way.

As I said before, from an economic standpoint, I don't see why you are doing this, but in any event, good luck and hope the above is useful as you refine your plans and rehearse how you are going to attempt to do it.

Last edited by NCC320; 08-31-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
If it was an easy task or one that the unprofessional could handle, it would have been done by now. I applaud the effort but I am skeptical of the outcome.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-31-2009

thinwater is on a distinguished road
By the numbers....

First of all, if it was easy, it would have been done already.

Second, if it was cheap, it would have been done already.

Third, I had someone committed to bringing a boat, but he hit some hiway debris and blew truck and trailer tires, couldn't make it. I found out about this at 2230 Friday evening, with an 0800 Saturday start planned.

I imagine that if I had started knocking on doors at 2300 Friday, I would have had better chances of being shot than finding a boat for the next day. So I got up nice and early and scoped out the area, talking with the few people conscious at 0700 on a weekend. By 9:30, I had located a boat to rent, close to the target.

You don't think that's a trick? Drive to a marina 4 hours from where you live, on the outskirts of the populated area, and give it a shot.

Mark drove the skiff to the landing and we loaded it and got to the sunken boat about 10:30, a couple of hours later than planned. We worked on stuffing the bags into the cabin and got four (not two) of them inflated before the rising tide stopped us at the same time we ran out of bottled air.

I appreciate the practical tips - really I do - but this boat is missing most of her hatches and is on her side 50% under water (that would put the lower rail almost 6 feet down) at low tide (range is about 5 feet), with her keel on the high side and her mast pointed toward the deep water. With 9 or 10 feet of total water, I still plan to right her with floats, and pump her out if the rails come to water level. If not, I'll drag her as close to shore as possible, lean her toward land, and pump her out when the tide falls again.

Would I have turned down back-up boats? No way, but that wasn't an option. No boat = no time to work. The limited volume of compressed air in the bottles was a surprise (thought I had plenty, even overkill), one that I will overcome. The distance is a problem that can't be solved, and I have to work with the tides that nature offers.

Or I could just say 'screw it' and go play. There are plenty of exits off this road --

1) Why bother?
2) Too far.
3) Too dirty
4) Too difficult
5) Too risky
6) Boat didn't arrive.
7) Ran out of air.
8) Cut hands on barnacles
9) Spent $$$ for gas, motel, food, pump, etc.
10)

Oh, and my personal favorite,

11) No help from anyone except Mark, including all of those who are fond of pointing out that it is his problem to solve and there are too many boats in the marshes and someone oughta do something about this and the owners should be fined and we need a tougher law and DNR needs to do their job and...............

........if anyone wants to help, I plan on another attempt, with better tides, more air, and (I damn sure hope) a boat to use all day from sun-up to sundown. September 12, 13 I think; check back for more info.

John
Old 08-31-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Oh, and my personal favorite,

11) No help from anyone except Mark, including all of those who are fond of pointing out that it is his problem to solve and there are too many boats in the marshes and someone oughta do something about this and the owners should be fined and we need a tougher law and DNR needs to do their job and...............
That's the truth. Hang in there John and Mark. It would be truly cool to see you guys pull this off. At least you're giving it a good go.

Old 09-01-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I can't believe this thread is still running.

Did Distant Star ever post again about the abandonment of his boat?

As for the posters attempting to salvage her, good luck. That, skill, patience, and money should cover the rest.
Old 09-01-2009
Last Man Standing

Val, I took from Thin's post above that Mark IS Distant Star and is helping with the salvage. If so, that's pretty cool.

Old 09-01-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Thin, with all due respect, do you not see the fatal flaw in your plan? Your inflated bags will not force any water out, or displace it. Go buy yourself a new robertson screw driver (square drive if you are American), and a box of screws and some plywood, cover any openings that are under water, and throw a pump inside and remove the water. The boat will float. fixing the few holes where you screwed the plywood down will be a minor repair compared to the rest of this. Lift bags are only going to help if they are placed UNDER the hull securely in deep enough water to have an effect. Inside the hull, they will merely sit on top of the existing water, and not displace enough water to ever get DS vertical, unless the tide comes up 20'. even then the deck will probably fail, and down she would go again.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.