Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
What a sad and inglorious end for what was once a beautiful, proud boat

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Maybe there's a lesson here, or not.

Should one say "Hey, coulda happened to anybody" or go with "Don't leave your boat on anchor un-attended for weeks on end..."?

Last edited by sailingfool; 09-02-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Well if you take a look, you have almost 50,000 views for your post. Out of those 50K I am sure almost are are sympathetic and wishing you the best. It must be heart breaking to go out to see your beloved boat only to get there and see her like that.. I am not one for drinking heavy or condoning such actions but I would have found the bottom of a few bottles had that been me. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Glad to see it's finally out of there and not a hazard to navigation anymore. With all of the discussion here about how to raise the boat; it's good to hear that someone that knew what they were doing finally got the job done. If they had come along earlier it would have been salvage-able; but at this point 1.5 years after it sank there was little reason to do anything but cut the hull up and haul it away.

Did they just let the mast and rig go to the bottom? Maybe so since it would not be much of a nav hazard down there in the mud. What about the keel? Did they just let that lie also?
Old 09-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The keel is probably the only bit that is really worth anything at this point in time. I hope the salvagers got the keel and sold it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-04-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I hate to say I told you so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
snip... That thing is coming out there one of two ways, a crane barge or chainsawed into pieces. Sad, but the truth is I don't care anymore which it is, so long as its removed from the waters of my home state.
Sad end to a sad story.
Old 09-04-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
So they used pretty much the same method to move her as several people recommended?
Old 09-04-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc2dogs View Post
So they used pretty much the same method to move her as several people recommended?
Except that the term "they" probably does not include the owner of the vessel.
Old 09-04-2010

CaptainMicktheSaltySailor is on a distinguished road
Fyi/ftr

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
Well if you take a look, you have almost 50,000 views for your post. Out of those 50K I am sure almost are are sympathetic and wishing you the best. It must be heart breaking to go out to see your beloved boat only to get there and see her like that.. I am not one for drinking heavy or condoning such actions but I would have found the bottom of a few bottles had that been me. Good luck.
Sorry, but going home, drowning Your sorrows with alchohol and not getting off Your fanny and DOING SOMETHING, any thing, EVERY THING you can to save Your boat, right there, right then....is THE recipe for disaster.

I am in the salvage and restoration business; know about 250 others also in the business across the country. We'll GO, we'll SAVE YOUR BOAT if You simply ask, we prefer it if You can pay us, we will gladly accept the boat for salvage if not, or take payments with a lien on Your Title while You keep the vessel and deal with the damage(s).

I contributed to this thread far more than once and it led several people to believe/think/suspect that I may have been, or been responsible for, the folks who showed up and 'did the nasty'. All I wanted was the bow rail, it was a nico marine high quality aftermarket product that would have fit our 'keeper' Pearson P39 nicely. For the record, it wasn't me, I never would have left the mast or any portion of the rig or winches. After having received thousands of dollars over the years for restored winches that were under salt water for years (and even almost a decade in one case), as well as the mast being several hundred pounds of if nothing else scrap aluminum (at $0.65 a lb), the sale of it alone would offset fuel costs for the trip. Salvage Vessels are viewed like cars rolling in to the scrap yard...value of the parts remaining that are, or can be made to be again, serviceable, as well as value of the remaining sum of non-reuseable parts for recycling. Then You factor the 'downside'...a trailerload of fiberglass pieces, literally 'tons 'o crap', which has to be disposed of. That COSTS money. The projected assets have to outweigh the liabilities, w/sufficient profit to pay employees, cover all costs and still 'make a buck'(or 2). On a previous planned out venture to head that way (Charleston) to raise, relocate and canabalize the vessel in question, just N. of Jacksonville & prior leaving the state we ran over a 1/4th remaining piece of a big rig's brake drum on I95 trashing 3 tires on passenger side of truck and 2 tires on the dually (9'x24') trailer.
Tab by getting back home at sunrise the following morning?
$1200.+
Karma? Maybe...I could have (and did) had the brand new bow rail sought, fabricated in top shelf fashion for far less. Pearson (Bill Shaw) built some awesome vessels, yes it's sad that there's 1 less of them now, however, we were looking at doing the same thing, nearly a year ago. When I get 5 flat destroyed, practically brand new tires in less than 1 second and people watch their life flash before their eyes at 75mph (w/5 blowouts at once)...I call that a sign from GOD.
When I get those signs, I pay attention/listen. After that escapade, this boat was off limits to my business.
Since several have inquired, no, I/we weren't the folks that showed up and made it a big pile in a few hours. It Is on occasion, what I do...just not this one.
-mick
Old 09-04-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Of course I would not have walked to the boat, observed it half sunk, and say, "oh woe is me, my poor boat. Well nothing to do now but head to the liquor store." I would have probably had my heart sink, stand in that pose with that look people have when they JUST realized something really bad has happened and they aren't sure how to react yet, rushed into a flurry of activity, half-way through said activities feel really low and depressed as I look around at the damage, get back to work and set the boat where at least no MORE damage will get done for the day, THEN, and only then, would I have gone to the liquor store. You see, it's a process