Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010

Gene Smith is on a distinguished road
Lost Pearson

'Kinda makes that slip rental look reasonable now-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, how did you contribute to this thread more than once, when you currently only have TWO POSTS to your credit. Also, I would point out , that as a salvor, you need to comply with the Marine Industry Special Interest Disclosure rules as posted in the Boat Buying forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMicktheSaltySailor View Post
Sorry, but going home, drowning Your sorrows with alchohol and not getting off Your fanny and DOING SOMETHING, any thing, EVERY THING you can to save Your boat, right there, right then....is THE recipe for disaster.

I am in the salvage and restoration business; know about 250 others also in the business across the country. We'll GO, we'll SAVE YOUR BOAT if You simply ask, we prefer it if You can pay us, we will gladly accept the boat for salvage if not, or take payments with a lien on Your Title while You keep the vessel and deal with the damage(s).

I contributed to this thread far more than once and it led several people to believe/think/suspect that I may have been, or been responsible for, the folks who showed up and 'did the nasty'. All I wanted was the bow rail, it was a nico marine high quality aftermarket product that would have fit our 'keeper' Pearson P39 nicely. For the record, it wasn't me, I never would have left the mast or any portion of the rig or winches. After having received thousands of dollars over the years for restored winches that were under salt water for years (and even almost a decade in one case), as well as the mast being several hundred pounds of if nothing else scrap aluminum (at $0.65 a lb), the sale of it alone would offset fuel costs for the trip. Salvage Vessels are viewed like cars rolling in to the scrap yard...value of the parts remaining that are, or can be made to be again, serviceable, as well as value of the remaining sum of non-reuseable parts for recycling. Then You factor the 'downside'...a trailerload of fiberglass pieces, literally 'tons 'o crap', which has to be disposed of. That COSTS money. The projected assets have to outweigh the liabilities, w/sufficient profit to pay employees, cover all costs and still 'make a buck'(or 2). On a previous planned out venture to head that way (Charleston) to raise, relocate and canabalize the vessel in question, just N. of Jacksonville & prior leaving the state we ran over a 1/4th remaining piece of a big rig's brake drum on I95 trashing 3 tires on passenger side of truck and 2 tires on the dually (9'x24') trailer.
Tab by getting back home at sunrise the following morning?
$1200.+
Karma? Maybe...I could have (and did) had the brand new bow rail sought, fabricated in top shelf fashion for far less. Pearson (Bill Shaw) built some awesome vessels, yes it's sad that there's 1 less of them now, however, we were looking at doing the same thing, nearly a year ago. When I get 5 flat destroyed, practically brand new tires in less than 1 second and people watch their life flash before their eyes at 75mph (w/5 blowouts at once)...I call that a sign from GOD.
When I get those signs, I pay attention/listen. After that escapade, this boat was off limits to my business.
Since several have inquired, no, I/we weren't the folks that showed up and made it a big pile in a few hours. It Is on occasion, what I do...just not this one.
-mick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-05-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Don't know him, as you say only two posts so far, may be an alt.
But in this incarnation, the only mention of being in the salvage business is in the above post, no contact info/phone number etc, nothing mentioned in his profile either, so I'd say there's no conflict anywhere.
He doesn't have name address and contact info in his sig.

Not like other posts I've seen with blatant sales pitches.
Old 09-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that having multiple identities on this forum is a banning offense... and since he said he has posted multiple times in this thread previously, either he is LYING or HE HAS MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS. The bulk of people with multiple accounts are typically up to no good as we've seen here in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc2dogs View Post
Don't know him, as you say only two posts so far, may be an alt.
But in this incarnation, the only mention of being in the salvage business is in the above post, no contact info/phone number etc, nothing mentioned in his profile either, so I'd say there's no conflict anywhere.
He doesn't have name address and contact info in his sig.

Not like other posts I've seen with blatant sales pitches.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-07-2010

steel is on a distinguished road
This looks easy! My method should have her floating again in a couple days of work! Okay I'm not really that sure. Just trying to get everyone's attention.

What you need

1) A place to attach a cable on the ground which can hold a few thousand pounds. This can be a big metal stake hammered in to the ground at an angle facing away from the boat, a heavy truck or a distant tree.

2) A long 1/4" steel cable (1/4" has 1300 lb working load - test is much higher) or equally strong rope which can reach from the boat to the place on the ground to secure it. And 4 1/4" steel cable clamps.

3) a 2ft long 4x4 piece of wood with two screws in it next to each other securing a metal bracket to the side in the middle. The cable goes under the bracket which holds the board to the cable.

4) A 10 - 20ft long 4x4 wooden board (or any other long thing which can support over 2000 pounds) with a flat piece on the end to keep it from sinking in to the ground and a groove cut in the top for the cable to go through.

5) A winch Search results for: 'winch'

6) A small boat with mud removing stuff. A water pump to pump the water and mud out, and another pump with a pressure sprayer to loosen up all the mud in the boat, ensure there is plenty of water for the mud to mix with and to spray off the mud which plugs the water intake of the other pump. And of course some shovels and buckets too.

If she can't be floated out:

7) Sillicone tubes and gun.

8) Enough cable to go across the river to secure to the other side, or a boat to tow. This may also be needed if the boat falls over on port side by accident.

Now here starts the fun part.
Loop one end of the cable around the bottom of the mast and secure with two cable clamps and tighten the bolts well. Bring the cable up over the port side and on to land and secure the other end to the winch. Secure the winch to whatever there is that can hold a few thousand pounds -- a tree or truck or stake. You may need to use both cables at the same time to have enough strength. The short 4x4 board is to keep the cable from cutting through the fiberglass on the side. Put the board under the cable up at the edge of the boat and secure it to the cable with a bracket or one of those U shaped nail things. That long 10 - 20 ft post may help to elivate the cable as close to the boat as can be done. Erect the post on land or in the water exactly under the cable so the cable is pushed up in the air. This will direct the direction of pull on the boat so that hopefully it will be pulled up more than sideways so it will lift up more easily and won't want to slide and push itself down further in the mud. Now start the winch. Be careful to not pull the boat so much that she falls over to port. She just needs to be pulled up enough so that no more water and mud gets in and the mud can be cleaned out easily.

With the mud cleaned up and water out with the boat pulled most of the way upright it is time to wait for high tide. At high tide she should stay upright on her own. The she can be towed out or a rope can be run across the river from the bow. Pulling her out from the stern will risk damaging the rudder won't it?

If there is not enough water at high tide for the boat to stay upright enough to keep water out on her own then this gets much harder. With the boat upright using the cable all hatches and any vents need to be closed and plugged. Use the sillicone to seal up the companionway door so no water can get in when she lays on her side with water half way covering the companionway. Now attach the cable to the bow and get ready to pull with the winch on the other side of the river or from a powerful boat. Disconnect the cable holding her upright and start pulling! Hopefully she'll be partially floating.

I can't wait for all the comments about why this won't work! I enjoyed thinking it all up even if it is completely stupid for whatever reason I might soon find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that having multiple identities on this forum is a banning offense... and since he said he has posted multiple times in this thread previously, either he is LYING or HE HAS MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS. The bulk of people with multiple accounts are typically up to no good as we've seen here in the past.
I hate having rules which can't be enforced. What good does it do to ban someone who admits to having two accounts? All you're doing is punishing someone for being honest. Then they just come back with a 3rd account (and they don't tell anybody that time!). The people who don't say they have multiple accounts are the ones who cause trouble. There's no way to really ever catch people who have multiple accounts unless they are just lazy and do everything from a single Internet connection without trying to hide.

Last edited by steel; 12-07-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2010
Rum Swigger

RumPirate is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

I come across this thread from a link in another thread.

I read through 44 pages in the hope that 'Distant Star' would actually be saved.

To now discover that she was cut up with sawsalls and chainsaws is very saddening and disappointing. As another poster wrote, it is a sorry and inglorious end for what was once a beautiful, proud boat.

Commiserations to the Original Poster.
Old 12-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumPirate View Post
Commiserations to the Original Poster.
+1.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-09-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
OK, loosing your boat sucks, but.....

....some things are worse!
Attached Thumbnails
Well my day really sucked.-poystrange.jpg  

Last edited by billyruffn; 12-10-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
br, you have a way of putting everything into perspective.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-12-2011

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Could of been worse, someone could of been cut up by the chainsaw in the destruction.... still a pity...but for anyone not familiar with the Piedmont area (SC) and the delta (Charleston being one) - it is 80% clay...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.