SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Help!, Does anybody know this boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/51688-help-does-anybody-know-boat.html)

Honolulu 02-20-2009 12:45 AM

Help!, Does anybody know this boat?

4 Attachment(s)
Aloha from Honolulu, I rescued this little 12' dinghy from oblivion, it lacks a centerboard and a few other smaller parts but I do not even know the name of the design let alone where to get parts or specs for it. It has a wooden mast and is fiberglass. Does anybody have any ideas? Thank you for any info!!

Jeff_H 02-20-2009 09:33 AM

At first glance it looks like a Kite. That looks like a free standing cat rig which is how the kites were rigged.

The hull also looks like a Flying Junior, but there were a whole lot of small boats that looked very similar. I would suggest that you look at the transom and try to see if there are VIN numbers that might give a clue.

Jeff

Honolulu 02-20-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 451977)
At first glance it looks like a Kite. That looks like a free standing cat rig which is how the kites were rigged.

The hull also looks like a Flying Junior, but there were a whole lot of small boats that looked very similar. I would suggest that you look at the transom and try to see if there are VIN numbers that might give a clue.

Jeff

Thanks for taking the time to respond Jeff, I will search the net for pictures of the designs you mention. Regarding serial numbers, or for that matter anything stamped on this boat there is nothing left, the sail has a "K" and the number "145", but I have the feeling that it may not be the original sail or even an original replacement sail for this boat. When I search for a "K" boat on the web I only came across the "K" series but they are very different from this one not to mention the fact that most if not all of them seem to be wooden hulls and this one is fiberglass.
This one also has what it seems to be a water ballast (?) since it has a hole that can be plugged after filling it up, this is on top of the two holes that can be seen on the transom.
Hector from Honolulu

14432 02-20-2009 04:47 PM

I would guess that this is not a water ballasted boat but has some airspace between the hull and the deck/floor insert for floatation, etc. and that the holes and bungs are to drain any water that happens to leak in.

hellosailor 02-20-2009 05:51 PM

If those are state registration numbers on the bow, the Hawaii DMV(?) will have the owners information on file.

Honolulu 02-21-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 452245)
If those are state registration numbers on the bow, the Hawaii DMV(?) will have the owners information on file.

Good point, I will check with them on Monday.

Honolulu 02-21-2009 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 14432 (Post 452209)
I would guess that this is not a water ballasted boat but has some airspace between the hull and the deck/floor insert for floatation, etc. and that the holes and bungs are to drain any water that happens to leak in.

That is what I thought at the beginning but the way that it is designed is kind of typical of water ballast opening that uses one of those expandable rubber plugs. I am uploading a picture for you to see.
Hector

Honolulu 02-21-2009 11:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 451977)

Jeff

Aloha Jeff, I took a few more pictures with the mast on maybe they are more clear. I also check pictures on the web for the 2 designs that you suggested but no luck.:-(
PS The beam is 64 inches and the LOA 140" without the rudder.

mccary 02-22-2009 12:00 AM

This is obviously a catboat. So, why not just measure the luff (from where the boom attaches to the mast up to the top of the mast minus a bit for attaching) and the foot (length of the boom minus a bit for attaching) and contact some used sail lofts and see what they have in those sizes.

bljones 02-22-2009 12:12 AM

I agree with Jeff H- looks like a Kite:

12' Kite sailboat and Trailer