Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Monterey, CA - Slip Availability + Sailing Conditions

I am considering the possibility of moving our Catalina 22 to the Monterey CA area....Monterey or Moss Landing. What is the availability of slips and costs? Are there waiting lists and how long would be a typical wait? For those of you who have sailed out of this area, would the C22 be suited to sailing this area winter and summer? What would be typical wind ranges for each season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2009

okawbow is on a distinguished road
I'm from the midwest, but my son lives in Monterey. Last year, I sailed a 30' sloop in Monterey Bay in winds that the owner said was "normal" conditions for August. The wind was averaging about 15 kts. Swells were big enough to be a concern when running down wind. I asked about conditions in winter, and he said the sailing was good, with average winds a little higher than summer. If I remember correctly; slips were expensive and hard to get, but moorings were only about $75-100 per month, not counting dingy dockage. It's often cool and foggy in the summer.
Old 02-21-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
A 22-foot boat is about the minumum size I'd feel comfortable in on San Francisco Bay. Considering that Monterey Bay is substantially less protected, my guess is that your Catalina 22 is not really suitable for the conditions. But others may disagree.
Old 02-22-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I would tend to agree with fstbttms; Monterey is not a protected area along the coast because it faces north from the bottom side of Monterey Bay. The same is true for Moss Landing but to a bit lesser extent because it is in the middle of the bay not the south end. The problem is that ocean swell can come right into the enterance at Moss Landing; which has put many sailboats onto the beach or the jetty over the years. Many times during the winter the marina at Monterey is closed to traffic by the USCG because of the dangerous breaking swell that occurs right outside of the breakwater.

It might be possible to keep a boat at Santa Cruz if you dry store it on a trailer; then put a lifting eye system in it so you can drop it in with the boom crane. I'm not sure if there is space available but there are lots of boats (mostly Santa Cruz 24's) stored on trailers in a gated area at the Santa Cruz marina.

Another thing to be concerned with at Monterey are the sea lions who love to climb aboard (squashing stancions, overloading/sinking, and pooping all over) unattended boats in the mooring field. I don't know if they do this to berthed boats but I would be sure and check on it first.
Old 09-24-2009

miekish is on a distinguished road
Catalina 250?

I'm also moving up to Monterey and looking to buy my first sailboat. I've had my eye on a Catalina 250, but some people have said that a 25 ft boat is too small for Monterey also. Does anyone have any advice?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.