Suprising Response trying to find electronics guy in Ft. Lauderdale - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
There's also the issue that if they sold it, and messed up the install, frying the unit, they're out much less replacing it than if the had to replace something that they made no money off of the original sale.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
We need help installing our new Sirius Weather for our Raymarine unit and also installing our yet-to-be-ordered new charger/inverter (Only West seems to have the Xantrex Freedom 25 in stock and for a ridiculous price). We got a recommendation for a facility in Ft. Lauderdale to help us with the install and gave them a call. They told me that they couldn't help - they only install products they sell. I was suprised that in today's boating economy anyone would turn down a gimme - services have a much higher profit margin too!
Both of those projects are DIYers IMHO (Have done them both).

The Sirius install is a a easy one less if you want to install the Sirius Unit outside the distance the provided Ethernet cable to your C / E or G series. Basically route the DC power / mount the unit / and plug in the ethernet cable to the chartplotter / display. If the Ethernet port is already occupied on your display you'll need to get the Raymarine Switch...

The Charger install - if you are replacing an existing unit - is again a no brainer. You can use the existing wiring for a template and re-run new wires or use the existing.

If still maybe you just do not feel like you are up to it - talk to some of your dockmates. They will recommend a local yard (yes that will incur a haul-out fee), or they maybe they will recommend a local installer. West Marine when they recommend outside sources will be dependent on the experience the staff member has and what they can pull out of their hat. I have yet to have a successful West Marine "suggested vendor" find the time... Even better if you talk to your dockmates - they maybe have done the same and can give you a hand for the mere bargain price of maybe dinner or beer... and the latter will be better for you as you'll know more about what is involved...

Just my 2 cents... If still at a loss - contact again the suggested vendor again - and ask if they have ever installed either - and you will waive follow-on support as long as it works after installation... That may get their attention... If you do the latter - be present during the install and ask questions...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I fully agree. I'd include PKYS in Annapolis among the morons not to hire as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I use "marine" guys as seldom as possible. There is a bigger proportion of incompetent prima donnas who can't master a schedule in this field than in any other. I greatly favour using "industrial" guys like welders and truck rebuilders who are open to the very few special considerations boating brings.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Sailaway - I'll heartily agree to disagree with you. I own a technology company and we vary between 18 and 22 employees. We work primarily with mid to large businesses, and they often bid out the equipment to get the best price. If they want to do that, that's fine. All I care about it getting the services. We make far more money off the install and support of the equipment than we ever would off the hardware. After talking to many electronics shops, I've found that marine electronics are pretty much the same - low margin.

If you focus on the services, you don't have to carry the paper on the equipment and you'll end up making a lot more - plus the services are where you get to build a repeat customer base. I don't care who I buy my equipment from - I just want a good price. I care greatly as to who touches my boat to install the stuff. The fact that if something is damaged that they are liable for the equipment doesn't play well with me. If the people know what they're doing, they won't fry it. I mean, most times they are integrating what they sell you with stuff you already have, so what's the difference between frying what they sold you and frying something already on your boat? They are still just as liable. Just have me sign something stating that the condition of the equipment they install is my responsibility, and that if something breaks I have to deal with getting it replaced. It's what other industries such as mine do.

Jody - I agree, they are mostly DIY. I need to integrate the Sirius stuff into my existing system, and I'm more interested in having someone come in and help me trace what's already there - pointing out which bus is which so I can do all future work myself. I have 3 different places where instruments go, and it's difficult to tell what is what. I figure that someone who knows Raymarine can help me document it. I also need to make sure I have the right cables to integrate into what's already there. One length is definitely farther than the cables the unit comes with. Also, this is all SeaTalk2, not the newer ethernet STNg stuff. With regards to the charger, it's pretty much a drop-in replacement - I just want someone with easy access to the right connectors and the ability to make cables onsite so I can get it done quickly. Speed is the important thing here, not price, as we want to get to No Name to make our jump to the Bahamas as soon as possible.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-22-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
With all respect labatt, your business appears to be different than most retail businesses dealing with the non-commercial market. As you're experiencing in Lauderdale, a goodly number of us are reticent to install equipment purchased elsewhere lest it bite us in the rear. We have relationships with distributors and manufacturers that we rely upon, not only for profit but for warranty and back-up when there is a problem.

The example of frying something is an apt one. (I say that, having just cooked off a $3000 submersible motor based upon customer assurances that his electrician had the proper 3 phase overloads in place!) If I'm the Furuno dealer with a ton of experience installing Furuno radars and I take on your Raytheon radar project, a brand I do not deal in, and the unit is either defective or cooks off during install, what assurances do I have that Raytheon will honor my professional experience and warranty the unit? Now my Furuno distributor knows me and knows I've put a couple hundred units in, so he's going to ship me one out overnight based upon my past performance. Most boat owners are not going to be as willing to sign a waiver as you are, either.

A good part of the money made by these guys, usually equal to the labor, is in the sale of the gear itself.

Again, I'm not trying to hammer you in any way and I'd be lying if I said that we have not, nor do not, install other's equipment on occasion, but we're always half a step away from implementing such a policy. When we do install customer supplied equipment, we do so at our normal labor rate and so, we lose our normal profit margin on the job. To charge an appropriate price to maintain our business model's profit range, I'd have to charge the amount of profit I'd have made on the equipment sale. Then where are your savings of buying elsewhere? Of course, most people don't want to pay above average labor rates to install the equipment purchased elsewhere. I've expressed frustration at similar experiences such as your's but the years have made clear to me why some outfits have such a policy.

And, from your standpoint, my experience has been that you never want someone working on a job they really didn't want in the first place. They're not properly motivated and, in my experience, someone who is turning down work is sending you a subliminal signal that they don't want the job and you maybe shouldn't want them either. I can't quantify that for you but I've experienced it. (A guy took the center right out of a $500 alloy tire rim and just gave me the, see, I told you so, look! I didn't really realize it but, he done his best to inform me that he was incompetent.)

Good luck to you and continued smooth sailing.
Old 02-22-2009

thekeip is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure who I take issue with...so many comments are spot on.
It's been my experience that a customer, at a show, can easily succumb to the passion of the moment and waltz out of the tent with a Garmin or Furuno system, reasonably complete, fairly complex and with every sense that someone, somewhere has the expertise to install it for him. Maybe it's a mistake to think that..maybe not. That's where I have a problem. Sure it's a mistake; but on the other hand, it's my job to mitigate that mistake and get everything to work...either I'm the guy who can do it or not....but that's what I do for a living.
Our yard isn't affiliated with any particular equipment brands...electronic, mechanical, paints, whatever; but whether it's a paint job or new batteries, customer has to get the benefit of a first rate job, and the yard hires the best talent available however you define it. A good Garmin install looks and performs just like a good RayMarine install, and it's fairly easy to accomplish that if the tech is knowledgable and pays attention to fundamentals..
Sorry for the rant.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Old 02-23-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Perhaps it's time for the marine industry to change then. Times are tough, people are going to be looking for good prices, but good technicians and companies need to get paid appropriately for their services. The obvious balance to this is just what sailaway suggested - make the procurement of the product irrelevant by charging a reasonable price for equipment (as opposed to over list price as I've had several companies try to charge me), and sell their services at a reasonable rate.

Sailaway - I'm sorry you cooked that motor, but when I have someone work on my boat I expect them to not take anything I say at face value and to make sure everything is working appropriately prior to doing the job. When we had our liferaft installed, I told the contractor that the the hole placement he drew on our deck was correct for his first hole. Unfortunately, we had two different ideas of what the first hole was. As a result, he drilled down into a piece of trim and it had to be repaired. Had he checked for himself as to whether what I said was correct, it wouldn't have happened. There were no electronics involved here, yet a mistake with liability was still made, and it shouldn't have been made. I don't see how this is different from ruining a piece of electronics. Going back to my mention of my company, our first step in any engineering engagement is an assessment - we spend a bunch of time understanding what is already there and what our customer is trying to accomplish. We make sure we have all the appropriate parts and that what our customer has told us is correct. THEN we do the install. What's that saying about the word assume?

I say all of this with humble disagreement and respect for your opinion.

By the way, in my case I went to a certified Raymarine installer and asked them to install Raymarine equipment. They should know how to do that with minimal risk to property and themselves. If they can't, they shouldn't advertise themselves as Raymarine experts.

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-23-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Here in my area there is a WM clearance center and a salvage place. People often come in to the shop with a piece of wire and some swage fittings and request that I use my equipment to make up the shrouds or stays for them. It chafes my butt, but I usually do it anyway. I also disclaim any responsibility for the quality of items that I don't supply.

Now I don't know what the margin in electronics is but it in not insignificant in my line of work. It adds up.

Bubb's story of the diner owner and the tires illustrates the situation very well. There are some professions where it might make sense to use the customers parts and materials, although I can't really think of one at the moment. But for the most part, I think it is a little presumptuous of customers to expect that kind of service.

I have a big sign that says "Cruiser Friendly" so I am more than willing to work with people on a budget and to let them do as much of their own work as they want. But I gotta tell you. I have customers that I have known for years, and have treated like friends, and they will have their mast laying in my yard while it's being worked on and they will buy something like an antenna or a Windex at WM for the same damn price that I would sell it to them for. They don't realize apparently that the five or six dollars margin on that item really makes a difference in a small business like mine.

I just think that most people don't understand. They seem to think that just because one is in business that they are raking in the bucks.
Sometimes I feel like showing them the books.
Old 02-23-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I guess I got lucky here, I was turned on to a repair shop that openly offers any level of service you desire. I brought in the engine guy with the knowledge I was supplying everything and he was teaching me how to do his job. He ran me through the specifics of doing all my oil, fuel & coolant changes. We worked together, with me assisting him. I won't be needing him anymore for this stuff. He was happy to do this. he does have plenty of full service customers, and expressed that they are happy to do it any way the customer likes.
Went to another shop for radar install. They were also happy to install the radar & bracket I bought at an excellent price. This was primarily figuring how to fish the wires up the mast & mount the bracket properly. I did the plotter install myself. Again, they seemed happy for the business.
Old 02-23-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
I just do install unless the client insists then I just set up the purchase and have the client pay with their credit card.

I build up a lot of good will with my suppliers so when I need something for me it is usually free.

I perfer just to do labor then there is no discussion that the price of the parts could be had on ebay cheaper.

I have some on line vendors that I recommend because their prices are reasonable and service is good.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.