SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Logging Hours (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/51798-logging-hours.html)

mrwuffles 02-22-2009 10:25 PM

Logging Hours

After looking at some of the basic CG licenses I could get when I get older many of them require a certain amount of logged hours. I know I have tons of hours I could have logged just didn't know how and it would be a shame to look into a certain license and not have enough hours. So, what is the best way to log my boating hours and are they limited to certain types of boating or is it whenever I am operating a boat? Anyone know any good certifications I should get right now? I am still a HS student and really want to set up my future which will probably end up being very nautical. Thanks in advance for the input as I know you guys will provide good answers.

sailingdog 02-22-2009 11:18 PM

If you can get letters certifying your time at sea from the owners of the boats you were on, I believe that is acceptable documentation. Bubb2 or one of the others will be along shortly with a much more definitive answer. :)

mrwuffles 02-22-2009 11:24 PM

Ya but most of my hours are on my own boat how does that work because that is the gray area where some one could just make up hours so how do they know?

STTnBama 02-22-2009 11:45 PM

I have a CG Captain's license and am only 21 years old so I had to document time that I had going back to the limit, which I believe is still 16 years old. The lot of that time was done on my dad's boat and only requires his signature and the information about the boat so hopefully the person has that information on file if they no longer own the boat. If most of your time was on your own boat, then it requires the information and your signature. Yes, someone could theoretically make up time but that's just the way it is. You can download the forms from the coast guard website and begin to record your time. You'll find when you sit down and start thinking back it's not too difficult to remember your time in the past. Keep in mind however that where this time was spent can also determine what kind of license you qualify for (Inland vs Coastal vs Offshore). Also keep in mind that you don't have to be the master of the vessel, just being onboard is all you need and it could be on anything that would be defined as a "boat".

EDIT: If you decide to try and get your license. Go with as much as you can get, it will pay off in the long run and you can go ahead and get all the classwork out of the way at once. I.E Go ahead and get your masters, sail endorsement, towing endorsement etc.

mrwuffles 02-23-2009 03:24 PM

Are there any simple certifications I can get at a younger age? The youngest thing I saw possible was a launch operators certification at age 17 for an uninspected vessel.

STTnBama 02-23-2009 04:54 PM

I mean yea you could get that technically but your never gonna use it. Keep in mind this can get expensive real fast so I wouldn't really waste money on a certification that I will never need or use. If you wanna get a jump on things then get your First Aid and CPR certification and keep that up to date or get your diving cert/rescue diver/dive master. STCW also will be needed if you intend on working outside the US. All of these things will be more useful.

mrwuffles 02-23-2009 05:00 PM

I already have SSI open water diver, thanks I'll probably just wait then.