Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
As several people have suggested these terms vary from area to area, and time to time. Obviously, seeing the terms used the context is important to a complete understanding of the correct translation. Like Noatom, I have used the terms, 'heading up' and 'bearing off' for nearly 50 years now.

To shed light on some of the discussion above, based on my experience, on a boat big enough to have orders passed to crew or a helmsman, the personal calling the helm would say, "prepare to bear off", The order that was then given to the helmsman would be "Bear away". The Helmsman would respond, "Bearing off" or "Bearing Away". The boat herself is said to have be "Bearing off" or "bearing down" meaning turning away from the wind.

My asssumption is that "Out of the Sack" comment was aimed at the 'off watch' or watch members who were 'standing by' and who were 'sacked out' in other words lying down.

Regards,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
Hello, all!

I am a Greek translator/subtitler, and I am currently subtitling a documentary about a young crew training for the Transpac race. When their instructor jumps overboard to help them prepare for this emergency, we hear one of the crew shouting:
Bearing off big time out of the sack!
I understand the first part of this phrase, "bearing off". But I can't find what "out of the sack" means here. Is it a sailing-related idiom, or just a general idiom?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
In the light of a man over board dill, Out of sack. would have to be the equivalent of "all hands on deck."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 02-26-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Around here I think they're pretty much interchangeable... I'd tell the helm to bear off a bit or bear off around that mark when we're 'round the cans but when we're W/L it's a bear away set at the top mark. Bah, who knows?
Old 02-26-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I saw that movie too (assuming you're talking about Morning Light) and it is full of both sailing vernacular and regional dialect (the skipper is an Aussie or Kiwi, I think), as well as hip slang spoken by the youngsters. So I don't envy your task.
Ah, jeeze, that changes everthing!!
Old 02-26-2009

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Boasun wrote "Now "Veer" is to pay out the sheets... What is opposite?"

BACK

Dick
Old 02-26-2009
Just a Sailer

somers12 is on a distinguished road
Thinking out of the box here... Perhaps, the instructor whom the students had put in a sack... escaped and jumped overboard. The person at the helm, knowing they'd be in big trouble, yells "Bearing off big time, out of the sack! In other words, "Time to get the 'Hell out of here'.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Old 02-28-2009

rocinante33 is on a distinguished road
Prodigal,

I am responding a little late here, so forgive me.

Remember that "bear away" and "fall off" are both commands given in relation to the wind.....turn away from the wind. Bear away might also be used with respect to another object (a boat, ship, a shore or a breakwater, for example), but in the offshore context away from all other objects, it is given with respect to the wind. "Bear off" has probably resulted from merging those two terms. Now all three terms are synonymous.

The opposite of these commands is "head up," turn into the wind.

It may be a regional thing. I sail in Southern California and Roy Disney is a quintessential So. Cal. sailor. He probably hired a lot of Southern Californians to teach sailing to those kids, too. Maybe they imparted the local jargon upon them. Or maybe not regional?
Channel Islands, California
Old 03-01-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
Boasun wrote "Now "Veer" is to pay out the sheets... What is opposite?"

BACK

Dick
Trim would be the opposite.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 03-03-2009

81Hunter is on a distinguished road
I don't think regional. I'm a Brit, and now in VA, and have heard that all over.

LOL, regional would be bad if you had a mixed crew..

"huh? what does that mean?" BANG! Splash..