SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Chartworld Charts?

930 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  labatt 
#1 ·
I usually plan most of my passages using RosePoint Coastal Explorer (also known as Maptech Chart Navigator Pro). I then transfer my waypoints to my chartplotter. Has anyone used the Navionics S-63 Bahamas charts from Chartworld? I will be primarily using "Visual Piloting Rules" as the Explorer charts recommend, but I like to have charts for planning purposes. I'm just curious what the quality is.

Thanks!

Chris

#2 ·
IIRC, the Navionics charts aren't as good as the Garmin ones of the Bahamas, as the Garmin ones are the only ones based on the Explorer charts of the region, which are the most accurate charts for that area. Send a PM to Cam and ask him as I believe he's familiar with those waters and the problems therein.

#3 ·
Unfortunately I can't use the Garmin charts with Rosepoint Navigator. I'm limited to S-57, S-63, BSB and a few other chart types. This is less for navigation and more for planning so I'm OK with a little less (or even a lot less) accuracy. We have the latest Navionics charts in our Chartplotter (Navionics has spent 2 years contracting out with services in the Bahamas to do soundings and cartography), but it's still only an aid - visual navigation is, from what I understand, the name of the game down there. What I'm specifically interested in is if anyone has used the Chartworld Navionics S-63 downloadable charts of the Bahamas and if they were somewhat detailed, or not. I'm guessing with the lack of response thus far that I'm SOL. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.