My old friend... - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 Old 03-04-2009

CD, that was a fantastic tribute. I am sorry for your loss.

I don't care how big and tough a man is, saying goodbye to a faithful companion will bring a tear to his eye.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 Old 03-04-2009

Sorry for your loss Brian,

I had to do that once with the best guard dog and kid dog I ever had. * years later it still bothers me.

Dennis
O'Day 302

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
post #23 of 40 Old 03-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Putting down a dog is tough!!! Man, I never thought it would be that tough. If you have ever had a dog and they were close to you, you will understand what I mean.
Brian, I know exactly what you mean. It's been eight years since we had my nearly 15-year-old Bull Terrier put down, and while he wasn't great on the boat (we only had it two summers while he was alive and by that point he needed to be carried below), he was a boon companion. Ironically, I learned my wife was pregnant for the first time the week we decided "it was time", and thus closes a circle of life.

For a variety of reasons, we haven't got another dog, and with a sea voyage on the horizon, we won't for some time yet. But I do love the silly things, and I know exactly how you feel.

Can't sleep? Read my countdown to voyaging blog @
post #24 of 40 Old 03-05-2009
... a logical conclusion

Brian,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful tribute to your dog. I sat here with tears welling in my eyes as I read it; I'm struggling at the moment over the same thing with my 15-1/2 year old poodle, Chianti.

She also loves boating, and has been crew and companion during six years of canal boating in France, and nearly a decade exploring the west coast waters. She insisted on helping us bring the boat to the yard this week for haul-out, and since we have another three or four weeks of work scheduled, her current frailty tells us that it may have been her last voyage.

Again, thank you for sharing.

Cheers,
Michael

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

post #25 of 40 Old 03-05-2009 Thread Starter
Best Looking MALE Mod

I find it heartening the number of people that have been there, done that, and understand. Like I have said, for those that have not truly had a dog... they would not.

We had been carrying him up/down the companionway for a long time now. It really was not that big of a deal because I have to carry our fat bulldog regardless (another discussion when choosing a good sea-going pet).

We told the boys last night... and they were upset, but they dealt with it after a while.

Thanks all,

Brian

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

post #26 of 40 Old 03-05-2009
On the hard

Sorry to hear about Scooter Brian. I lost my best dog ever "Damani" last year. My kids gifted another very unique and special pup to me whom I named Scrappy, even though I didn't want another dog. Now I'm glad they did.
post #27 of 40 Old 03-05-2009
Francophobe

CD, sounds like you are going through one of those rough spots. Hang in there - we hope things improve.

Here is a link to my favorite poem for these moments.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

post #28 of 40 Old 03-05-2009

Send a message via AIM to CLucas
So sorry for your loss. Been there myself -- as have many others here -- it's probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. The memories, of course, last forever. Beautiful photos of an important and much loved member of your family.

Chris
post #29 of 40 Old 03-05-2009
Alex, not full of crap

Brian, sorry to hear that. It's been 4 years since i had to do the same with Baron, my almost 17 year old Golden. They truly are part of the family. Feel free to call if you want to talk. And Sorry to about Glen (good name that, it's my middle name). I pray he is recovering well. I'm sure Chase did fine on his exams.

Charlie

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
post #30 of 40 Old 03-05-2009

CD, so sorry for your loss. Our mutt Barney was 17. Never met a stranger, he was a good and faithful companion for my children and our family. . It was really hard when we lost him. They truly give unconditionally of themselves and ask for nothing but love and companionship.

Pilot

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.