Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
My old friend...

I wanted to share a few pics here of a great friend and very long time sailing buddy - Scooter.

Kris and I rescued a Schnauzer when we were in college. We couldn't hardly put two penny's together (we were literally the starving college kids), but somehow we managed to scrape up enough money to buy a Schnauzer which we had grown fond of from a person that didn't really care much for dogs. That dog... he ended up going everywhere with us. Always wanted to sleep at our feet... followed us around and always kept one eye on us. You go to the bathroom, he would get up and lay outside the door. Go to bed, the same thing. Go out in the yard, he would scratch until he could go out too. Always kept one eye on us, always, from the first day we rescued him. I am sure now that it was his way of saying "thank you".

He was a quiet ole boy. Certainly the quietest and most 'mind my own business' of any dog I have ever known or had. He didn't really ever want to play. He never bit. He never rough housed. He never got protective. All he ever wanted was to lay close to us.

Well, we graduated from college and believe it or not, he survived all the long nigths of study and all the partys. Not long after, I bought my first boat. It was a Catalina 250. He and Myra (she passed long ago) were truly the first ones on her. Here is scooter in the background with the red harness, Myra with the blue.

[IMG][/IMG]

I tell you - Scooter truly came to love the boat. LOVE IT!!! He always wanted to go. His favorite place?? In the Dink of all things!!!! We have logged hundreds of miles with that crazy dog riding behind us in the dink!!!! He would whine until he could get there. He could go for dink rides all day long. A few years later, we ended up buying the 380 (after the 320) and living aboard. Ole Scooter... he was in heaven. He would always sit at the companionway or walk the cat-walk, or anxiously sit at the base of the steps waiting for us to get wherever we were going so we could go on a dink ride. And if we did not get there soon, we had better find a way to get him in that dink so he could travel in style behind us!!

[IMG][/IMG]

We ended up moving to east Texas some years later, after LA and cruising. We bought a bunch of land. Now, any other dog would have been in heaven, running the fields all day or with the countless smells, but Scooter never was really happy. He always seemed a little down. Well, we loved the land and still do. But we could not live long without a boat. And so, we bought our Catalina 400 - the boat we have today. When we bought her, Scooter was again the happiest dog in the world. It seemed that was the piece that was missing from his life. He was always wanting to go sailing and get in the dink. And no matter what, or no matter where, he was always right there keeping an eye on us. True, true story: If it came between laying on a soft bed in the Airconditioning by himself or laying on the hard sole in the cockpit where he could keep one eye on us, he would be in the cockpit in a heartbeat!

Well, Scooters love for sailing never died, but Scooter got old. He was around 15 or so today. He got to where he could not hardly walk, or go to the bathroom on his own, and certainly could not do any physical exercise. He was in pain constantly. I had something I needed to do.

The timing was not good. Glen had surgery last Friday. We still do not have the results. Chase was having his Taks test (pass or fail 3rd grade) that Tuesday. Glen had to stay house bound... but I still needed to do one last thing: I needed to take Scooter for one last sail.

It was freezing cold (literally) and was gusting in the 40s. I put up the enclosure around the cockput to try to stay as warm as we could... but it was still freezing. I knew I would take off a chunk of gell coat and a nice long strip down the side of Sea Mist getting her out of the slip (which I did)... but I didn't care. That could be fixed. We weren't going to let anything stop us. And off we went:

[IMG][/IMG]

One last sail. THat was all the old man wanted. He has put more hours on a sailboat than most of the people I know times ten - and this weekend he put on a few more. We wanted to get the dink out, but I was concerned that if he fell in the water he would freeze to death before we could turn around. It was just too dangerous. I wanted his last sail to be comfortable. He still looked back, always waiting for me to pull out the tender so he could hop in. But I think he understood that we couldn't.

[IMG][/IMG]

We had to put Scooter down about an hour ago. Age had caught up with him. Most dogs, they will go to heaven and run wild in the fields. Some will lay in the clouds using them as a couch. Some will have endless meals. Some will have endless tug-rope or frisbee. Scooter, even as I write this, he is in a dink, behind a sailboat, free at last to go where he wants without having to wait for me or Kris. But I promise you, he is still looking down, not too far, keeping an eye on us. And I have no doubts that when we go to sea again, he will be there, watching out and riding behind. Always, one eye on us.

Goobye my old friend, the best dog and friend we have ever had.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Oh man - I'm sorry Brian. That's a really hard thing to do.
Old 03-04-2009

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
My sincerest condolences to you and your family.
Old 03-04-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Brian:

Thanks for that wonderful story.

You are a good man.

Peace to you.

Things will get better soon.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 03-04-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
oh i know the feeling, my lab is getting very near playing with scooter. he is on aspirin 3 times a day and sometimes still needs to be carried down the steps. he woke the wife when the house was on fire, saving her, he still tries to follow us around. his idea of a great day is to sleep at my feet, if i get up and leave the room and dont come right back he groans, gets up and follows.

sorry to hear about scooter but he is in the dink in the sky
Old 03-04-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
So sorry about that CD. That must have been hard. You and the kids will miss him for sure.

Scooter sounds like the perfect dog. That last sail and this post are hell of a fine tribute to him.

Thanks for sharing his story with us -- we have a new pup on the way and if he/she proves half the dog Scooter was we'll consider ourselves fortunate.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-04-2009

swadiver is on a distinguished road
CD,

Thanks for your post. I had to put Amy, my 11 yr old Golden Retriever down two weeks ago. I thought she had arthritis but was told she had cancer. I had to put her to sleep that day. She passed away with her head in my lap. Still not over it, but I like to think she is up in dog heaven welcoming your Scooter and showing the way to the marina. Amy was my best friend and the best dog I have ever had. I miss her so much. Again thanks for your post. I'm sorry for your loss.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Last edited by swadiver; 03-04-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Putting down a dog is tough!!! Man, I never thought it would be that tough. If you have ever had a dog and they were close to you, you will understand what I mean.

But he lived to be about 15. That is a long time even for a Schnauzer. And that old dog has seen more stuff than most people. He has certianly traveled more places by boat than most. He had a good life - certainly better than what he would have had.

Thanks guys for all the thoughts. We are sad, of course, but we also remember that he lived a long time. Haven't told the kids yet, but they were never that close to Scooter. He came way before they did and always hung with us. By the time they were born, he was beyond "playing" much. Chase... well, no telling how he will take it. We decided not to tell him up front. We dropped the hint to him this morning to give Scooter some extra love, but I am about certain that he did not really understand why.

Anyways, thanks again for all the nice thoughts. We are fine, really. We will always remember pics like these, though, where Scooter would sit and stand for hours staring behind us at the dink.

[IMG][/IMG]

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-04-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Brian we spoke a few minutes ago, but nevertheless..I am sorry man..really am..

Alex
Old 03-04-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
It's amazing how much we can love our pets. I know it's in our future someday, but I can't imagine how we're going to feel when it's Buddy's time.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.