Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Very, very cool post. Thanks for sharing!

I too didn't realize Hunter used balsa coring in the hull. Looks like it's strictly above the waterline, but still not something I'm crazy about. I suppose in a new boat that you maybe only plan to keep for 10 years before trading up, it might be ok. Or if you're fanatical about checking and/or rebedding deck hardware and thru-hulls.

eMKay - Did you get to see any of the electrical and plumbing installations? If so, what's your take on the process?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Very, very cool post. Thanks for sharing!

I too didn't realize Hunter used balsa coring in the hull. Looks like it's strictly above the waterline, but still not something I'm crazy about. I suppose in a new boat that you maybe only plan to keep for 10 years before trading up, it might be ok. Or if you're fanatical about checking and/or rebedding deck hardware and thru-hulls.

eMKay - Did you get to see any of the electrical and plumbing installations? If so, what's your take on the process?
Well, on the hull there is no hardware or through-hulls in the balsa, it's above the waterline. As for the plumbing and electrical it's like every other boat I guess. The wiring is run through conduits and looks pretty organized.
Old 03-10-2009

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thanks eMKAY.....

That works for me since I can't afford anything that new anyway.....
Old 03-10-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
From what I can gather boats built in the mid 80's to late 90's are the ones to avoid.
The Legend series built in the 90's are among the best built productions boats ever made. It was in the mid 80's that H had some production and quality issues and which should be avoided.
Old 03-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
I didn't know the new Hunters have a balsa cored hull....
They don't!
As the writer said,
"it's about 5/16" thick up at the flange and down to the waterline, cored from the waterline to about 6" from the flange ..." which means only a portion of the topsides are cored.

This is similar to numerous high end boats and done primarily for purposes of insulation and is done for virtually all production boats.

The hull is solid glass
Old 03-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
The Legend series built in the 90's are among the best built productions boats ever made. It was in the mid 80's that H had some production and quality issues and which should be avoided.
I thought the Legend name was only the name they used in Europe, for essentially the same boats they sold here?
Old 03-10-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Thank you for sharing with us the tour. Since I own a 2006 Hunter 36 it was interesting to see some photos of one being built. One thing you forgot to mention is the Hunter puts Kevlar in the hull during layup. Did you see this in the new models being built?
When I toured the new Hunters 2009 models at the boat shows I can see a big difference between them. Hunter is now using cheaper materials through out the boat; deck hardware (lesser grade of Harken), concrete/iron keels, no more teak veneer interiors.
I can comment on my electrical and plumbing and how it is built. Electrical systems is a simple system. Hitachi 60 amp alternator, 2X4d's batteries, nice Blue Sea electrical panel, Guest 1,2 both battery switch, Promarine 30 amp battery charger. alarms for low battery voltage and high water alarm. My boat is pre-wired for high water bilge pump, electric fuel pump by fuel filter. Not a bad system for just day cruising or one day on the hook. Any more than that and one has to upgrade everything for which I am in the process of doing. One good thing is everything is easy to get to and running wire is a snap with the conduits.
The plumbing system is all plastic snap compression fittings. All the piping is colored red or blue for hot and cold water. The manifold lives under the sink. Not my favorite place for this. I have some minor leaks in the snap compression fittings throughout the boat. I have got all them to stop except one at the manifold for which is giving me fits. The holding tank in the starboard stern lazzerate is there for the life of the boat. The hold tank indicator on most Hunters fail to work properly. One can see in the photo that the intake shoots waste right at the indicator tube. Bad design in my opinion.
I am not a happy camper with Hunter cheapening the new boats coming off the line today. I hope they don't return to the pre-Henderson days of building crappy boats.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 03-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Thank you for sharing with us the tour. Since I own a 2006 Hunter 36 it was interesting to see some photos of one being built. One thing you forgot to mention is the Hunter puts Kevlar in the hull during layup. Did you see this in the new models being built?
When I toured the new Hunters 2009 models at the boat shows I can see a big difference between them. Hunter is now using cheaper materials through out the boat; deck hardware (lesser grade of Harken), concrete/iron keels, no more teak veneer interiors.
I can comment on my electrical and plumbing and how it is built. Electrical systems is a simple system. Hitachi 60 amp alternator, 2X4d's batteries, nice Blue Sea electrical panel, Guest 1,2 both battery switch, Promarine 30 amp battery charger. alarms for low battery voltage and high water alarm. My boat is pre-wired for high water bilge pump, electric fuel pump by fuel filter. Not a bad system for just day cruising or one day on the hook. Any more than that and one has to upgrade everything for which I am in the process of doing. One good thing is everything is easy to get to and running wire is a snap with the conduits.
The plumbing system is all plastic snap compression fittings. All the piping is colored red or blue for hot and cold water. The manifold lives under the sink. Not my favorite place for this. I have some minor leaks in the snap compression fittings throughout the boat. I have got all them to stop except one at the manifold for which is giving me fits. The holding tank in the starboard stern lazzerate is there for the life of the boat. The hold tank indicator on most Hunters fail to work properly. One can see in the photo that the intake shoots waste right at the indicator tube. Bad design in my opinion.
I am not a happy camper with Hunter cheapening the new boats coming off the line today. I hope they don't return to the pre-Henderson days of building crappy boats.
No problem, but I didn't forget to mention the kevlar.
Old 03-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
I thought the Legend name was only the name they used in Europe, for essentially the same boats they sold here?
The hunter web site will show the distinction better than I can explain but essentially Legend in Europe refers to the brand and here in the U.S., it referred to specific designs of the Hunter brand. One way to tell a U.S. Legend series Hunter is the existence of a backstay with swept-back spreaders.

I also did the Hunter factory tour a few months ago as well as the IP tour the following day - interesting comparison and differences between how each is constructed. They are entirely different boats and intended for different purposes so won't make any subjective comparisons here other than to say the hull layup schedule seemed to me to be very similar. When I was there, they were using lead for the keels at both factories but the IP keel was a lead/cement composite blend.

Last edited by k1vsk; 03-10-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2009

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
The twin keel design is slower, but it creates a very stable and versatile vessel.

My father-in-law sailed a British-made 24 ft. Westerly around Cape Cod for many years. It had twin keels. Because of its shallow draft we could leave Sesuit Harbor at any tide level without fear of running aground.

Another nice thing about the twin keel design is how easy it fits on a trailer. He used to tow "Neirid" back and forth to the Florida Keys every winter behind his pick-up and it rode nicely.

Another thing that I recall about his Westerly, which may have absolutely nothing to do with the keel design, is how much space this boat had: 6 ft headroom, adult-size head, a galley, enough room to fit an Atomic 4, and enough berths so that 4 of us could comfortably spend weekends aboard.

I think the twin-keel design has many practical applications for the U.S. and the Bahamas, especially where water depth is an issue and you're willing to trade speed for stability.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.