Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
The hunter web site will show the distinction better than I can explain but essentially Legend in Europe refers to the brand and here in the U.S., it referred to specific designs of the Hunter brand. One way to tell a U.S. Legend series Hunter is the existence of a backstay with swept-back spreaders.

I also did the Hunter factory tour a few months ago as well as the IP tour the following day - interesting comparison and differences between how each is constructed. They are entirely different boats and intended for different purposes so won't make any subjective comparisons here other than to say the hull layup schedule seemed to me to be very similar. When I was there, they were using lead for the keels at both factories but the IP keel was a lead/cement composite blend.
Hunter was using lead a few months ago, and are now using iron? That's very interesting, and pretty valuable info. So it's a recent change then.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2009

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Great photo essay and lots of good material for newbies.....

But they shore 'nuff are an UGLY boat.
Old 03-10-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBrown View Post

I think the twin-keel design has many practical applications for the U.S. and the Bahamas, especially where water depth is an issue and you're willing to trade speed for stability.
There are still a few old Westerly 26s around the Chesapeake Bay too!!

While they don't look bad, some English designed boats are as odd looking as a pig-eyed horse!!

Last edited by WouldaShoulda; 03-10-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Hunter was using lead a few months ago, and are now using iron? That's very interesting, and pretty valuable info. So it's a recent change then.
Since Beneteau has been using iron keels for decades and Hunter is in direct competition, it looks like they are falling prey to the lowest common denominator. With the price of klead these days, it doesn't surprise. I think Hunter's larger boats (45-49 ft) intended for offshore are still lead according to their marketing.
Old 03-10-2009

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Since Beneteau has been using iron keels for decades and Hunter is in direct competition, it looks like they are falling prey to the lowest common denominator. With the price of klead these days, it doesn't surprise. I think Hunter's larger boats (45-49 ft) intended for offshore are still lead according to their marketing.
I was told by the local Hunter dealer that the newer 49's come with cast iron keels now. I'm told the upgrade to lead is in the area of $16,000.00.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 03-10-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Great Post...Thanks. Hunter factory is impressive, and in general it looks like they do a good job. I have and prefer (for my sailing use and style) my Catalina 320 due to styling and size, but that's a personal choice. Maybe production boats are not that bad after all. Oops, forgot that they are basically weekend condos, why would anyone really want all that space anyway? Besides, they don't have hand holds (adding a handhold in cabin, if you want it costs how much after you own the boat?). Why everyone knows, that the cockpit should be small cramped, and closed with just two little drains to take away green water when it comes over the deck...otherwise, you won't get your sea boots filled. And, they're not heavy enough to really go in deep/blue water, and because they are lightly built, then they probably sail too fast. After all, everyone knows the ultimate bluewater boat is a snail sail...I mean West Sail 32 (actually I like them). And now they go to iron keels, which I really don't like. At the bottom of this tread, there is a link to a review of the Caliber plant. I found out they weren't any good either...too many corners cut. What to do...where can I find a good boat without buying a has been from the seventies, or spending a fortune for a Hylas 46, or may be a Island Packet 45 or a ?. This week end I was in West Marine and struck up a coversation with someone who was also looking at a inflatable dinghy. He owns an Pacific Seacraft 40 and when he found that I had a Catalina 320, he moved away to another part of the store....it's that bad owning a production boat.

Last edited by NCC320; 03-10-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
I was told by the local Hunter dealer that the newer 49's come with cast iron keels now. I'm told the upgrade to lead is in the area of $16,000.00.
sounds like another Hunter myth.
This is how Hunter describes the keel:

"Keel, Antimonious Lead w/Stainless Bolts, Shoal Draft"
Old 03-10-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Great Post.... At the bottom of this tread, there is a link to a review of the Caliber plant. I found out they weren't any good either...too many corners cut. What to do...where can I find a good boat without buying a has been from the seventies, or spending a fortune for a Hylas 46, or may be a Island Packet 45 or a ?. .

I wrote up the Caliber factory tour. As stated I really like the boat and how it is made. While some here may argue about some of the short cuts, I don't see them as short cuts. You couldn't give me an IP for example. My point here and as stated over and over, over and over again different boats for different folks. There is no perfect boat out there except maybe for Alex's boat ( except he couldn't sail it in the Florida waters, the Bahamas without running aground). Each and every boat has compromises depending on the designer and owners needs.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 03-10-2009

The prior post is absolutely correct. What we seem to have here is another demonstration of human nature to either a. criticize something other than what you have to preclude self-doubt in some folks minds they made the wrong choice, or b. the desire to sound authoritative by the act of criticism.

Case in point - the example of a Hylas 46 as something above criticism - we had one and the anchor locker, chafe protection and overall design of the bow area was terrible and almost lead to destruction of the boat.

No boat is perfect. For all the fans of masthead rigged, full keel, solid glass, small cockpit, skeg-hung rudder boats, most of the racing crowd thinks they are nuts.
Old 03-10-2009

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
sounds like another Hunter myth.
This is how Hunter describes the keel:

"Keel, Antimonious Lead w/Stainless Bolts, Shoal Draft"
I chalk it more up to marketing/webmasters not keeping up with the design decisions. Is it right? no, but then I didn't buy off of the web I bought from a dealer that explained all of the different options and changes.
2007 Hunter 49