Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Hunter Factory Tour! (Lots O Pics)

I toured the factory last week, the tour was given by Greg Emerson, who was very enthusiastic about the boats, knowledgeable about how they are built and developed, and answered all my questions. The tour started off at a freshly laid H36 hull still wet, and still giving off heat from the curing process. This hull is a bilge keel model going to Europe, there was an H27 also that was a bilge keel model. The first thing I noticed about the fresh hull was the way it's laid up, it's about 5/16" thick up at the flange and down to the waterline, cored from the waterline to about 6" from the flange with balsa, what looks like one layer over top the balsa. But the area where the chainplates are is REALLY thick, a lot thicker than I thought it would be, at least 1" thick at the chainplates, then tapers a bit, like one layer of thick glass less at about 8" around the chaimplates, then another layer less another 4" down, then carryint a thick band all the way around the hull (the pictures show this clearly). Also the rudder area and all the way down the centerline is thick glass. The rest of the hull is not that thick, but the grid that bonds into the hull is also at least 1/4" thick, and there is a lot of surface area on that grid that is bonded to the hull.

Here is an H36 hull that was just laid up that morning, the smell coming from it was eye watering but strangely pleasent...

Same hull, here you can see the balsa core, the kevlar layers in the bow, and the extra reinforcement around the chainplates and waterline

Twin keels, obviously destined for Europe

Aft again, same hull

A finished H36 hull

Hull thickness aft, H31

A finished H31 hull, awaiting grid liner

The grid liner

Next we looked at decks, there were a lot of H31's under construction, so that seems to be their most popular model right now. There were three H31 decks in various stages of construction. The decks and hulls are built on these rotating jigs that can raise up and down as well. They also have a chart next to the door that lists the weight of every deck on a graph, he didn't even point that out to me until he saw me staring at it, they seem to be serious about monitoring the weight of each deck. The solid parts of the decks seemed to be 1/4" thick glass except around the big windows, that had another 1/4" thick band of glass bonded to the opening, so it was 1/2" thick there, also they have aluminum backing plates under all the hardware, and some wodden blocks bonded to the underside in odd places, I didn't ask but those must be spots where interior stuff mounts.

H31 deck

Double thick around the big windows

and the hatch

H36 deck being laid up

H33 I think

Main floor BIG boat side

Completed H31 deck

Underside, aluminum plates, and not sure what those wood blocks are for, they don't look permanent

Next we went to the area where decks are mated to hulls (I know we didn't get into interior modules, that was at the end) Pretty straightforward, 5200, screws every 8", then drilled and through-bolted every 8", then the rubrail put on. I forgot to ask if they remove the screws after that, they are stainless so maybe not, does anyone know? Anyway this was in the main assembly line area, they are built on sliding cradles that can be moved down the line. I didn't count but I saw 3 25's, 1 27, at least 4 31's, 3 or 5 33's, 2 or 3 45's 3 49's, some 38's and 36's. I dunno, 25, 30 boats under construction?

H31's in various stages...

Small boat side

Bilge keeler 27, destined for Europe

This is a good shot of quality control in action, this is an H25, the large black hose on the right attached to the red box is an air hose, they soap down the boat and pressurize it with that hose and check for leaks, then fix any that show up.

Then we looked at rudders and keels, he said they are all iron now because of lead prices, they are cast in Canada, then tapped, then have stainless rods threaded in, then you know the rest. I don't think I like the way that's done, I would rather have a hooked rod cast into lead, but they were big rods, and deep holes. The rudders are rudders fiberglass and foam, and very thick solid stainless posts.

Then we went to interior modules, this is where Hunter (and the other big builders) let me down. They take perfectly good plywood and cover it with crappy laminate, I know why they do this, but I don't like it. I think if I buy a new boat or a very recent one say a 31 or 33, I would over time modify as much of the interior as I could. It's not very well built in my opinion, but the WAY Hunter builds them is very impressive. They build them in these hull shaped jigs with holes in them, they build them on top of the grid panel in this jig so they will fit perfectly into the hull when finished, then the bulkheads are tabbed to the hull and deck. It would be nice if everything was tabbed, but some manufactures don't even tab the bulkheads. The pictures will show how the interior is built, I think they could do a better job in there, but the important stuff like the hull, deck, and rudder seem very well built. I'd buy one (and I might).

The factory itself was busy, all the employees looked happy and were friendly. And they don't have a lot of unsold stock laying around, Greg said they still build mostly to demand and dealer orders. I only saw 4 or 5 finished boats at the factory.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
eMKay,

That was really cool. Great photo essay.

Good to know they are humming along okay down there.

Very interesting about the keel bolts. I share your reservations. Also, funny there is no market for those bilge keel 27s over here? Did you ask them about that at all?

Thanks for inviting us along with you for the tour!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
eMKay,

That was really cool. Great photo essay.

Good to know they are humming along okay down there.

Very interesting about the keel bolts. I share your reservations. Also, funny there is no market for those bilge keel 27s over here? Did you ask them about that at all?

Thanks for inviting us along with you for the tour!
Yeah, I asked him, he said they all go overseas. I knew they existed from a British magazine article I found about it.
Old 03-09-2009

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
I'm not a Hunter Basher but I have heard some negatives about some of them.

Was there a time period where one would steer clear of Hunters? or a particular size?.....

just huntin' for info here.....I have seen some that I would put on my short list but don't know enough about them.

plans......3 to 4 months a year in the Caribe....that's all...Prefer 30 to 36'

thanks
Old 03-10-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Cool post EMkay

We have one like the one on the left (45CC), it's a fun bay or close to home sailor, but I won't go far with it ( no faith in it ) we're still dealing with elec issues that are one by one are getting under control 2.5 yrs and counting

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-10-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
I didn't know the new Hunters have a balsa cored hull....
Old 03-10-2009

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
eMKay, Thanks for the photo essay. Hunter owners from overseas can only dream of visiting the Hunter MArine factory. I would really love to go on the factory if I get a chance to be at Alachua.
Old 03-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyesailor View Post
I'm not a Hunter Basher but I have heard some negatives about some of them.

Was there a time period where one would steer clear of Hunters? or a particular size?.....

just huntin' for info here.....I have seen some that I would put on my short list but don't know enough about them.

plans......3 to 4 months a year in the Caribe....that's all...Prefer 30 to 36'

thanks
From what I can gather boats built in the mid 80's to late 90's are the ones to avoid.
Old 03-10-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Where do they keep the BBQs??
Old 03-10-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
JRP - My understanding was that bilge keelers are sold in europe in areas where shallow water and large tidal ranges are a problem. When the tide goes out, they'll stand upright in the mud. Like everything else, there's a tradeoff. I've heard that bilge keelers tend to be slower than most americans would put up with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"