Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Big Hats!.....that's my sailing hat too.....i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Nag, nag, nag!-us-g.c..jpg  

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
You have to remember to "freshen" the sunscreen on your nose more frequently as well, because the sunglasses you use to keep from getting cataracts focus rays on your nose, even if your face is shaded by a broadbrimmed hat.

My mother and grandmother both had sun-caused melanomas, and while they were treatable, I don't fool around anymore. I have a lot of moles on my arms and I'm thinking of having as many of them frozen off before we go tropical as I can convince a doctor to do.

Lastly, I wear Sperry sandals with a Topsider-type tread most of the summer. I notice that I develop neat rectangles of deeply tanned skin between the straps on the top of my feet, as well as "Caribbean toes". It makes sense, as those areas are getting direct, high angle sun. So I've taken to slathering sunscreen on here as well, particularly since I still have those "tan lines" six months later.
Old 03-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente—

Be careful with your feet ... the straps move a bit and the areas at the edge of the straps are vulnerable to getting sun as they move, and may not be covered with sunscreen, so slather it on good.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2009

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Don't forget sunglasses. The additional UV you get due to reflecting off the water really makes good sunglasses a necessity. UV exposure leads to cataracts and other eye problems...
Good advice, SD. I had snow blindness about 20 years ago. It was the worst pain I've ever experienced. I'm still sensitive to bright sun, and now have to wear sunglasses even on bright overcast days. No cataracts or other eye problems yet, but I'm sure they'll be coming.

Thanks for the graphic warning, Billy.
Old 03-11-2009

AaronOnTheHudson is on a distinguished road
I always protect my head... but have been worried about my arms. Anyone know if the ProwiK shirts are worth the $50? (I realize most long sleeve shirt would do the job... but for those really hot and humid days when I normally wear T-Shirts)
2005 Catalina 250 WK #847
Old 03-11-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Yea right! You expect us to believe that? Looks like a backend lobotomy scar to me. Did you have much for them to remove?
No lobotomy, but prior to the procedure the surgeon and I agreed that if he needed to do a skin graft to close the wound, he'd take the skin from my shoulder. He said it would leave a scar.

So, I'm lying there on the table and the doc says he can close the wound left by the tumor excision without a skin graft. I said, "Well, there goes my chance to make up a war story about when I caught a bullet in the shoulder."

He says, "Tell them you took one in the back of the head and you're one tough dude!"
Old 03-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be aware that a lot of clothes have little, if any, sun protection value, especially when wet. Cotton is one of the worst offenders... people put on a light cotton long-sleeve shirt, thinking it will protect them, and it won't.

Columbia and several other companies have clothing that has an UPF rating. IIRC, these are rated even when wet... but not positive on that point. A major advantage of this clothing is that it doesn't need to be reapplied and designed with vents and such for hot conditions.

If you need the maximum UV protection, get the UPF 50 rated clothes...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-12-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2009

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
Another source of sun protective clothing is Sun Precautions - Online Shop . I've bought a number of their shirts and they work great.

I really need to get NO sun. I'm a perfect test for sunscreens, as I burn in minutes as a result of a disease that hit me about 20 years ago... Oddly enough, every time I find a sunscreen that really works and it tolerable to wear, it seems to disappear. The first was Coppertone Shade. An amazing product. It was a gel that felt like aftershave putting it on and was very effective. It went away...

Next, I found a gel by Neutrogena. Not quite as comfortable to wear as Shade, but very effective.

As we are preparing for a little trip, I find that I can't find it anywhere. Back to messy lotions...
Beneteau 423 #310
Old 03-12-2009

freddyray is on a distinguished road
I wear these and similar. they offer uv protection and very breathable wicking fabric.

New Balance 9119 | Men's Performance Tops (MRT9119)