Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Whale in SD Bay

Got home tonight to find 2 helicopters flying overhead, didn't give it much thought cause it wasn't that unusual; Then I heard on the news we have a 30' gray inside the harbor.

We tried to go take a look with the dink but got turned back, his still here as I type, has been in the bay all afternoon from what they say, but he's almost out to the point and open water.

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 03-11-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good that they're getting him where he should be... sounds as if he was either lost or curious... both happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
We get a few whales here each spring. I see them quite a bit in Saratoga Passage and down around Everett during the spring prawn fisheries but the wife hasn't seen them yet. It will be a good excuse to take the boat down to Langley for an overnighter so she can see them too. I'm not sure why, but whales are cool to see.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-11-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Several years back we had 2 or 3 greys that found their way into the upper reaches of Howe Sound. We could stand on the pier at the mill where I worked then, and they passed alongside us 10 feet from the pier - quite a thrill.

The spent a few days before finding their way out, they were 25 miles inland from Georgia Strait, a long way from their normal migration path up the West Coast

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-11-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Is his name Humphry? He like S.F. Bay, maybe he's touring southern Cal?

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 03-11-2009

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
I just saw a story this morning about it on one of the cable news channels.

Old 03-11-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Wayward Whale Spotted In Bay | NBC San Diego

There's a short Video to watch

What's funny is we sail out all the time to go watch them and 95% of the time we come up empty.
Old 03-11-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for your post Pappy, Whales are Cool.

A few years ago I was delivering a boat to Halifax. I was 30 or 40 miles off Cape Ann heading North. Early in the morning I looked off my port side and there was a pod of whales (6) swimming north about 100 yards off my port beam. For most of the morning we traveled together. I would ease the boat toward them and they would keep that 100 yard distance. But if I would ease the boat away from them they would come closer but always keeping that 100 yards between us.

Towards Noon that day, I guess they got tired of me and they just started swimming north a little faster then the boat and in an hour or so they were out of sight. But what a magical morning it was.

Last edited by bubb2; 03-11-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Thank you for your post Pappy, Whales are Cool.

A few years ago I was delivering a boat to Halifax. I was 30 or 40 miles off Cape Ann heading North. Early in the morning I looked off my post side and there was a pod of whales (6) swimming north about 100 off my port beam. For most of the morning we traveled together. I would ease the boat toward them and they would keep that 100 yard distance. But if I would ease the boat away from them they would come closer but always keeping that 100 yards between us.

Towards Noon that day, I guess they got tired of me and they just started swimming north a little fast then the boat and in an hour or so they were out of sight. But what a magical morning it was.
Bubb,

I've sailed with dolphins on our bow wave, but never anything like that. I hope some day to have such a magical encounter, and that my kids are there to experience it!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-11-2009

serah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to serah
I've had a handful of whale encounters - the most memorable being Labour Day weekend of about 1997. We were sailing across the Straight, perhaps 10 nm off Gabriola pass. A pod of about 30 orcas, including about 10 calves came right alongside and stayed with us for about 45 minutes. I have a distinct memory of standing on the foredeck, looking down on a cow with her calf. There were a number of times I could have reached out and touched their fins when they surfaced. Absolutely surreal.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.