Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Phoneless in Biscayne

I hate rogue waves... took an 8 footer over our side JUST before making our turn into Biscayne channel, and it took out my cellphone and our kid's Nintendo DS. It MAY have taken out my Canon 5D too - time will tell. I put a new blog entry up at our website - s/v Pelican - Following A Dream - if anyone is interested.

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Ouch! A 5d!!!
Old 03-12-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Its sounds like "Pelican" took good care of you on that rogue wave. Very chubby of her ;-)
1976 #552
Old 03-12-2009

STTnBama is on a distinguished road
I really enjoyed the blog post today, it brought back some good memories. I remember sailing with my dad when I was a kid and how he would have to stock up on batteries to power my gameboy on passages to keep me occupied. I'm 21 now and really cherish those memories of sailing with my dad. I am sure your son will also one day.
Old 03-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Expensive wave... that's why I use a Olympus 1030SW on the boat most of the time... water doesn't bother it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-12-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Chris,

Any idea where the wave came from? Was it a ship wake or an anomaly?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-12-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
SD - We have a 1030SW too, but the picture quality on the 5D is so superior to it that we try to use it as much as possible. With the polarized filter, I can actually capture the blues and greens of the water. Unfortunately, stuff like yesterday happens.

John - No clue where the wave came from. There were no boats in our area. We've had rogue waves on pretty much every passage. They seem to be the norm. We actually saw this one coming, but a moment too late. We were 15 degrees over on a port tack, and this wave came over our port side, over the top of our caprail. They aren't a big deal - just annoying when they are coming from a direction you're not expecting.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
SD - We have a 1030SW too, but the picture quality on the 5D is so superior to it that we try to use it as much as possible. With the polarized filter, I can actually capture the blues and greens of the water. Unfortunately, stuff like yesterday happens.
True, a pocket-sized p&s won't compare with a full DSLR...

Quote:
John - No clue where the wave came from. There were no boats in our area. We've had rogue waves on pretty much every passage. They seem to be the norm. We actually saw this one coming, but a moment too late. We were 15 degrees over on a port tack, and this wave came over our port side, over the top of our caprail. They aren't a big deal - just annoying when they are coming from a direction you're not expecting.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
With a wave that big, you should have been holding the camera to take a picture!!!

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke