SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mac-Venture 2-24

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  heinzir 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just picked up a macgregor venture 24 - 1972. I am hoping to fix this up and have been looking for some rigging instructions and maybe the orginal manual/handbook for this boat. If there is anyone that can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks!:)

#2 ·
cdang10-

Check out this link:

MacGregorSailors.com • View forum - MacGregor/Venture Discussion

You have picked up, arguably, the most common starter boat ever introduced to the market. You will be able to find parts and pieces for this boat almost anywhere. There is a very acitve group in almost every boating community for support and comiserating....(dont worry, we all do it).

#3 ·
Realizing my post could be misconstrued as negative...I should elaborate. By "common", I meant Macgregor has probably introduced more people to sailing than many other manufactures combined. They built cost conscious boats aimed at the novice to intermediate sailor who wants to get out on the water with minimal cash outlay. In general, they are a perfect platform to get out and enjoy sailing.....

....fair winds to ya...

#5 ·
2-24 fan

I owned a 2-24 and logged thousands of miles in it. It is a very light displacement boat and is rigged accordingly. It is very easy to single hand and it has just enough sail handling equipment to be a great starter boat for somebody who would eventually like to move up. I loved mine and my wife cried both times I sold it (she made me buy it back the first time). There is almost nothing proprietary on the boat so you should be able to restore and maintaine it very easily. The under water profile (except the rudder and keel, which are easily modified) is ideal for surfing and it was not uncommon to have sustained speeds of 10 to 12 knots on the way to Catalina from MDR. However, that thing has no business in the open ocean and I would discourage going off-shore in it....unless you like white knuckle rides.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Venture 2-24

I have a 1972 Venture 2-24 and sail it in coastal Maine waters. Tender, forgiving and will get you back to the mooring if well maintained. I up-graded the rudder with one from Ida and some other odds and ends to make solo sailing much more of a "snap". I put two marine batteries under the foward seat which made a day/night difference (as well as the Ida rudder which is HIGHLY recommended!!) Sailed her off the mooring for three years and it's been great. 2009 got nailed Memorial Day by a squall packing 60+ mph winds; tough day, but made it back to the mooring. Maintenance counts on days like that! I now run a Tartan 27; another of the "good ol' boats"

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.