Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Easy.... Giulietta. An amazing custom racer/cruiser... she handles well although a little tempermental when you are first getting a feel for her. After that she's like a race horse... 15kts easy. Beautiful lines, extremely well designed and one of a kind. Sweet.

Check out the construction of Giulietta here: Construction of GIULIETTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Joel73; 03-18-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Offshore... Oyster 435 - it's a brick, but once you lose sight of land it's a wonderful wonderful brick

Donnybrook (custom carbon monster based on a SC70) was a cool ride until the force 8 and 9 on the nose started, then it started pounding like you'd never believe. There's just something about giant planing hulls and going uphill in 40kt+ with 20-25ft seas... lol. That BFS guy would have needed to change his underwear. Stunningly responsive helm though
Old 03-18-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Sweetheart Boat

I have only ever been on three sailboats so not alot of experience, but as far as being the sweetest...well, it would have to have been the first sailboat I was ever on because that was the one where I discovered sailing and was bit by the bug. It was an old 26' Thunderbird back in the 70's and that little sweetheart put the dream of ownership in my mind until that dream came true. I still like the one I have today but it was a Thunderbird that gave me the inspiration to persue the dream.

Giulietta does 15 knots easy! How so???
Old 03-18-2009
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
Giulietta does 15 knots easy! How so???
Hell, I've done 15 knots on a J/24! Though it wasn't easy...
Old 03-18-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
15 knots on a J/24 is easy, you drop the mast, load it in a C130, and then drop the boat bow first from 25,000 feet. "No problem, mon."

Giulietta is a semi-custom based on what?? Surely not a 100% custom hull?

"Brick" brings to mind some other things I was thinking about pretty much anything over 40' feels like...maybe a well-mannered bus, but still...with varying degrees, at that point they seem to feel a bit, well, impersonal.

Pearson 424 yawl: Suicide for any helmsman taller than Danny Devito. Sloop, a good plow horse, so to speak. Frers 45...nimbler and quicker, but she still needs a helmsman all the time.
Old 03-18-2009
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
15 knots on a J/24 is easy, you drop the mast, load it in a C130, and then drop the boat bow first from 25,000 feet. "No problem, mon."
Just make sure you've got everybody aft of the traveler... they get a bit twitchy at those kind of airspeeds and you don't want to bury the bow
Old 03-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Giulietta is a semi-custom based on what?? Surely not a 100% custom hull?
based on a delmar conde 1200 IIRC... See HERE.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2009
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Just last week we went out on our friend's custom-built Columbia 50 for the first time. It wasn't finished by the factory, so I'm not really sure exactly what it is. My friend said it was a 52 deck, so the original builder stretched the hull to fit... Still a Gary Mull design, though. Anyway, WOW. What a sweet sailor! We were just outside of Friday Harbor between San Juan and Lopez, wind was 12-15, and with a single reefed main and 130 genoa we effortlessly did 8.5 kts. She felt strong and powerful, with very little helm...

They sailed the boat from Maui to Friday Harbor three years ago in April. Took them 14.5 days. That's pretty good even for some TransPac times.

It's not as fast or as pretty as Gulietta. But then, there aren't too many boats that are! Still, for $60,000 my friends have one helluva boat...

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 03-18-2009

sahara is on a distinguished road
Hinckley SW-42.

I've sailed bigger and faster, smaller and faster, but none sweeter.
Old 03-18-2009

hardalee22 is on a distinguished road
1960's Block Island 40 yawl.

Blows newer boats away, and keeps her way in heavy seas. And is drop dead gorgeous.