Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009

jnarmellino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaojoe View Post
Hinckley B40. Been on bigger, sailed faster, none sweeter.
I have a new neighbor at my marina this year --- a Hinckley Bermuda 40. Her new owners had her out for the first time last Sunday. You should have seen the smiles on their faces. A beautiful boat!
Attached Thumbnails
What's the sweetest boat you've ever sailed on?-img_0305a.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Love my 33 year-old Swan 41. Built like a tank. Beautiful motion. Stiff. Points high. I haven't been on many bigger boats, though.
Old 07-22-2009

seaojoe is on a distinguished road
Curious to hear about the Pilot vs B40.
Some years ago a local author w/pilot out of Long Island Sound did NOT like the B40. Waterline? the B40 is 27'. Interior? Sailing?
thanks.
Old 07-22-2009
Sailor

Warren M. is on a distinguished road
Sweetest, best behaved boat I ever sailed on was a Hinckley Bermuda 40. Wish I could own one of these beauties.
Old 07-22-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Has to be Stars and Stripes. Winning the race helps too.
J-37 is next..
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 07-22-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Has to be Stars and Stripes. Winning the race helps too.
J-37 is next..
Agree. Unbelievable power that boat has even without the full sail she can carry. I would have bought the pics to prove it, but I was laying next to the mainsheet coffee grinder, along with another 50 y.o. marshmello. We were both gasping for air and trying to hold our hearts in our chest cavities as the pics were taken. We won also.

One extreme to the other...I owned a Cape Dory Typhoon and for an 18'er, she had a most pleasing motion for a boat that only weighted 2k lbs. Carl Alberg balanced her well. After trimming the sails I could lock down the tiller, walk to the bow and shift my weight to keep her down the middle of the ICW 'til the cows came home.

I only kept her for about a year after the restoration before I sold her...that boat always made me smile. I'm an Idiot!!
Old 07-23-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
I became the owner of an Islander 28 last year. "A deal I couldn't refuse". I did not "shop for the boat" and was not considering one. I was looking for a comfortable, simple and fun boat to introduce my wife to sailing along the Maine coast. I was thinking about a full keel. Your description of Perry's Islander 28 is right on. What a nice surprise!! What a well behaved boat! My wife has no other reference points. If we decide to buy a larger boat it is going to be hard and necessary to match this boats manners.

Another kind of "sweet boat" is the 15" Marshall cat we enjoy. What a fun boat. It can be a little wet if you sail it hard above 10 knots of wind but with its huge sail and the board up it seems to fly down wind. I like being that close to the water. The gaff rig allows you to depower quickly and with the wide beam and the shallow rudder it doesn't "trip" when it gets hit with a powerful gust, it just rounds up when the rudder is lifted out of the water. It can be sailed with water at the coaming and I can feel it hunting for the "sweet spot" when sailing "close hauled". Cat boats don't sail very close to the wind but with no keel hanging down, running can be very exciting.
Old 07-23-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
Best Boat? The one I own, or the one I'm on. As long as I'm sailing it's a great boat.
I'm with you, mgmhead!
Old 07-23-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren M. View Post
Sweetest, best behaved boat I ever sailed on was a Hinckley Bermuda 40. Wish I could own one of these beauties.
Warren, I could not agree more!!! Throughout my teen years and off and on thereafter I sailed with my parents on Lola, their black-hulled Hinckley B40. We sailed her everywhere - I sailed with my dad and his sailing buddies on three Marion to Hamilton races, and when my dad retired and it came time to ship or sail her down to the Alabama coast, we sailed her - offshore almost all the way, only put into port once down in the Keys - one of the most enjoyable sails I've ever been on and the last time I sailed with my dad.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 07-24-2009

davmarwood is on a distinguished road
Sweetest Boat

My vote for the sweetest boat I've ever sailed on is a 1968 53 foot Gallant ketch, designed by Van de Stadt and constructed by Southern Shipyards, "Alaunt", chartered for a day-sail out of Red Hook, St. Thomas, USVI. This boat originally belonged to the Royal Governor of Bermuda and was used by him in trans-oceanic races. We sailed to St. John with one reef in a fresh breeze and the boat cut through the waves like a hot knife through butter - "sea kindly" doesn't begin to describe how it shouldered its way through a considerable chop. The fit and finish both above deck and below were impeccable.
But for the Chesapeake, where I sail, I'll take my own boat with a 5ft. draft, as "Alaunt", and her 52 sisters, have a draft of 7ft which would limit access in skinny water.