Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009

LesSoldats is on a distinguished road
General Questions- North Carolina

I am from Wisconsin and grew up sailing on my uncle's J-Boat (28 ft maybe? I was young :P ) I am excited to be moving from inland Oregon to North Carolina, a place with WATER! With this move comes the possibility of buying a sailboat, or at the very least scrounging some crew positions.

Which leads me to my question, where is there a healthy sailing club in North Carolina that races? Are there any one-class fleets? If so, is any club in particular set up to provide a relatively new sailor the chance to re-learn the ropes? (pun intended)

This is my first post on this forum, thanks in advance for whatever answers you guys may be able to give me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Oriental has the largest concentration of sailboats. I don't race, so I'm not up on the racing community. You might want to check out ncsail.org . Most of the members are in the Raleigh area and keep their boats on the Nuese River.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ditto what the Beez said. Here's a link:
Neuse Yacht Racing Association
Old 03-18-2009

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
North Carolina is a big state. Where will you be?
Old 03-18-2009

Edit: oops just saw your post gc1111

here is a better reply to your question

I will likely be living in the triangle area, but my eventual permanent home is likely to change depending on where I get hired as a paramedic, and where my school ambitions take me within the state.

I was particulary excited to see that the LNYC has a robust fleet of flying scots. Getting involved in small keel-boat racing would be perfect for me as I am young (22) and have both a limited budget and limited experience. My intention is to save up over the next 6 months or so to purchase a race-worthy boat in the 16 foot or smaller range on which to hone my skills and race on the weekends.

The internet has not been treating me very well in finding the various clubs and fleets (especially one-class) in NC. Most of the sites seem to be set up for members and people who are already local to the area and already have knowledge of the scene.

Just looking to get a reasonable idea of the various fleets so I can zero in on what I should be looking around online for in the coming months.

Last edited by LesSoldats; 03-18-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2009

southernsmoke is on a distinguished road
Lot of sailing options in NC... Where exactly where will you be moving? Oriental is very popular for keeping boats, they claim they have three times more boats than people
Old 03-18-2009

twisty2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesSoldats View Post
Edit: oops just saw your post gc1111

here is a better reply to your question

I will likely be living in the triangle area, but my eventual permanent home is likely to change depending on where I get hired as a paramedic, and where my school ambitions take me within the state.

I was particulary excited to see that the LNYC has a robust fleet of flying scots. Getting involved in small keel-boat racing would be perfect for me as I am young (22) and have both a limited budget and limited experience. My intention is to save up over the next 6 months or so to purchase a race-worthy boat in the 16 foot or smaller range on which to hone my skills and race on the weekends.

The internet has not been treating me very well in finding the various clubs and fleets (especially one-class) in NC. Most of the sites seem to be set up for members and people who are already local to the area and already have knowledge of the scene.

Just looking to get a reasonable idea of the various fleets so I can zero in on what I should be looking around online for in the coming months.
Well, if you can, put in an ap with Pender County(we need more good ppl down here), that will station you on Topsail Island on a rotating basis but keep you out of the BIG cities.

As far as sailing goes there isn't a lot in this specific area(Pender Co.) that I know of but Wrightsville beach, about an hour by boat has a great sailing club. At least that is what I am told. As far as racing goes, I would contact the club down there.

Southport may be another option, I made a tool thru the marina down there the other day and there were a lot of SB there, plus a couple sailing schools who might be able to point you in the right direction to find out about racing. But from the sounds of it the Wrightsville club is right up your alley.

I can try to find out the name if you want?
Old 03-18-2009
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
By LNYC i guess your are talking about Lake Norman Yacht Club. They have races all the time. They are across the "creak" from where i keep my boat and most nice weekends they are quite active
Old 03-18-2009

Sounds great. I am definately going to follow up on these leads. Lake norman would be a great starting place, it is halfway (more or less) between raleigh and my parent's place near pinehurst. Thanks for the great info