Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Question Passport 40 Review w/John Kretschmer

I'm looking for some feedback on this... We did a "Used Boat Notebook" video review with John on the Passport 40 (see below). Personally, I will listen to whatever Mr. Kretschmer has to say in regards to sailing, as his knowledge and experience is undeniably vast. Professionally, I think his delivery is great, and he is able to articulate his thoughts on camera - without a ****** - just like a pro. But that's me. I'd like to know what you think.

Question is: Would you like to see more "Used Boat Notebook" (classic plastic) types of video boat reviews w/John K? And if so, any particular models?

The idea John and I have had is to take 10-12 classic bluewater boats (most probably from his book), review them similarly to the Passport 40, and create a DVD. His publisher could even bundle the book and DVD together as an option. We think it's a good idea, but if there isn't going to be a market for it, we won't invest a lot of time and money in creating it.

Thanks all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
I think anyone looking for a serious used cruising sailboat...

and who won't invest in one (or both) of John's "Used Boat Notebooks" is an idiot, IMHO. His reviews are clear, concise and generally based on considerable experience sailing the vessel in question, usually during a delivery. Deliveries are often in the wrong direction, at the wrong time of year and sailing a boat that the owner is smart enough not to want to be on board during that specific trip. This is a much better way to get to know a boat that a 4hr sail in the Chesapeake (aka Cruising World BOTY). His review tipped the balance for me in my recent purchase of a Whitby 42.

I met John at a book signing and lecture and he came across as unassuming, pleasant and knowledgeable. Not bad for a guy who has more nautical miles going astern than most of us have cruising.

His "At the mercy of the sea" is a great read but keep it away from your wife/sailing partner.

As far as making money out of cruisers /potential cruisers.....well!!!!!!!

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gtod25; 03-18-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2009

teddier1 is on a distinguished road
I thought it was a great vido. It would be nice if he gave you some recent sales data so you would have some idea of the cost to purchase one.
Ed
Old 03-18-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Darren,

It's great. You did a great job.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-18-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Bravo, very well done !
Old 03-18-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Thanks for the video. It was great. I do have one comment. I wish he would go into the negatives/weaknesses of the boat: systems, poor stainless steel in most Taiwanese boats, leaking ports, etc. This would be helpful to understand the total cost of boat ownership if one buys used and it needs to be brought up to standards.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 03-18-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Awesome...exactly what I've been looking for in a video review: bluewater boats by a knowledgeable sailor w/ good camera work. Keep them coming!

John mentioned that he was "continuing the series on great boats to sail the world". Are there more videos available?

Some ideas to improve future videos:
1) Add a short segment that mentions the boat's specs (LWL, LOA, beam, displacement, keel type, rig type, etc.)
2) Add something about the market like availability and price ranges.
3) Don't forget the <$100k crowd.

And finally, since you asked for it, here's a list of other reviews I'd personally like to see:

1) Baba 30/35/40
2) Westsail 28/32
3) Hans Christian 33t
4) Tayana 37
5) Southern Cross 31
6) Bill Garden 41's (Island Trader/CT/Hardin/etc.)
7) Anything by Bob Perry

Old 03-18-2009
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
I really enjoyed it. keep them coming
Old 03-18-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I don't own any of his books, but I have always enjoyed John's articles and respect his views. You guys all did a nice job on this video, too.

Not to nitpick, but a video review like this would seem more comprehensive if it could also get a good look at the underbody of the boat while it was hauled out. I like to see and talk about the keel, skeg, rudder, strut, aperture, etc. I also like to see the entry at the bow, and the bustle at the stern, not just the topsides. It really wouldn't cost much to haul the boat and hang it in the slings for a half hour or so while you get some good footage.

If that sort of cost is prohibitive, at a minimum it would be helpful to show some graphics that include the profile drawing of the hull, sail rig, etc, along with its critical dimensions. Better still if you could include some derived calculations, such as payload capability, theoretical hull speed, LPS, MC, CR, etc and compare those figures to some competitors. Additional info such as water and fuel tankage, battery bank, etc are always important to world cruisers, too.

Those are just a few suggestions off the top of my head without giving it too much thought. I tend to gravitate toward hard data, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-18-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
jrp

I think your idea of discussing the shape of the underbody is a good idea. But numbers, numbers and more numbers will make a video long and boring. Those things can be put on paper or on a website as supplemental details. Keep the video to things visual, use a webpage to add to the info for those who want more details. Video is for SHOW & TELL.