Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
The Two Happiest Days of a Boat Owners Life

Well, it is said that the two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it. Well, we sold our boat. In some ways I am glad. The timing worked out terrible and caused many changes in plans. I am glad that we sold it in this buyers market. I am sad because of the all the fun times we had and we really liked the boat. Our main reason for selling was that it did not fit our long-term cruising plans. The new owner seems really nice and has good plans for the boat. I think he will have fun with it. He got a good boat.

It is also said that when one door closes, one door opens. We are now going to start the process of finding our next boat. I look forward to this because it is really a buyers market right now.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2009
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Congrats. Shopping for a new boat can be a fun experience too!
Old 03-19-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I owned Frolic, and bought Imagine. Imagine was in the Caribbean, and Frolic on S.F. Bay. I could not bring myself to sell her after 14 years of wonderful companionship. After 4 years I could not justify keeping her while using her once a year when visiting home.

I am so glad I was not there when another hand took her tiller. I would have been weeping like a baby on the dock. Frolic changed my life immensely, and made me a better person.I do not believe selling the boat is a happy day........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Selling was not fun

Hello,

I sold a boat back in 2007. It was horrible to say goodbye. I owned the boat for only a few years (3) and didn't think I would mind selling as much as I did.

It didn't really hit me until the sea trial. Suddenly, someone else was sailing MY BOAT. I wanted to trim the sails differently, flake the lines differently, steer differently, but I had to just sit there and bite my lip.

I keep in touch with the new owner and he really likes the boat, so that helps. But selling was not fun.

Barry

Old 03-19-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
It took us two years to find our boat... good times!!
Old 03-19-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I purchased a "new" boat 2 years ago, well, new to me. The market for a 22' used boat was in the toilet so I gave the boat to a good friend's brother and his kids. When my friend and I delivered the boat, about 120 miles South, it was a sad trip, but uneventful and safe. But the last couple miles were as a sweet a sail as ever. I loved that boat as if it were a member of my family for those 29 years. That was a sad that turned out to be a happy day but not one of the 2 happiest.
Old 03-19-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccary View Post
I purchased a "new" boat 2 years ago, well, new to me. The market for a 22' used boat was in the toilet so I gave the boat to a good friend's brother and his kids. When my friend and I delivered the boat, about 120 miles South, it was a sad trip, but uneventful and safe. But the last couple miles were as a sweet a sail as ever. I loved that boat as if it were a member of my family for those 29 years. That was a sad that turned out to be a happy day but not one of the 2 happiest.
You sailed the same boat for 29 years? That is cool. I have never gotten more than 6 years out of a boat before I made a change. I guess I need to settle down and be happy with what I have!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003