Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Hang on a second.... The OP didn't say anything about a triatic or discuss his spreader angle. (both of which are important).

My mizzen has dual uppers (forward without spreaders) and single lower shrouds with aft swept spreaders. I have no need for runners of any kind. The only way I could see needing them would be if spreaders are not swept AND you are using a good size mizzen staysail or mizzen spinnaker.

Just my $.02
Old 03-20-2009

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
Yep. And svHyLyte's defense of runners doesn't apply to my configuration either. My main mast has a normal (split) backstay as well as a triatic. And my multipart runners are not able to be tensioned enough to do any good unless you take up on them before any load is applied. (I don't have any available winches to use for them)

Maybe his arguments apply to some configurations, but they are not universally correct. These kind of arguments are much more accurate and better supported if you simply state what your experience with rigging options has been and let others draw their conclusions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
"Some cases" Omitted

I should have indicated "In some cases" at the commencement of my earlier post as my comments are clearly not universally applicable, for example, in the case where a mizzen's spreaders angle aft or the main is supported by independent split back-stays or separate runners. My experience is based upon our, once, ownership of a 1963 Rhodes Reliant where the trim of the ship was much enhanced by the addition of mizzen runners--so much so that the former owner-during a boisterous sail on San Francisco Bay-exclaimed that he couldn't believe it was the same yacht.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-22-2009

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
Ahh, that explains a lot. The Rhodes Reliant was (is?) a really lovely boat. But it belongs to a specific generation. By relating your comments on yawl rigs to this class allows everyone to calibrate the validity for their own situation.

I really envy you for having had a Reliant, especially on SF Bay where I learned to sail on my father in-laws Fleur Bleu. I have fond memories of those "boisterous sails".
Old 04-15-2009

Axle2121 is on a distinguished road
I also have a Pearson 39 Yawl with the running backstay/pelican hook setup. I haven't been using them at all, but maybe I should be. Would using them increase windward performance?

I've only had the mizzen staysail up once, but it sounds like this is when they would be most useful.