Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009

bobmatri is on a distinguished road
Coastal Cruising Defined

Hi,

I am currently in the market for my first boat and am looking in the 25-30' range. I have been doing my share of homework specific to boats but one thing I am uncertain of is a fairly precise definition of coastal cruising. I am located in the northeast and will look to sail between Cape Cod and Long Island. Would this still be considered coastal cruising, as long as I kept land in sight?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Have a look at this thread.

When Does Coastal Crusing Become Off Shore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-20-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yes...you don't even have to keep land in sight. Just be able to get into port before the weather changes. (generally defined as being able to get weather reports, call coast guard/seatow, and make it into port within 24 hours.)
Old 03-20-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I'd agree with Camaraderie, it's a weather issue; however, with today's forecasting skills, I think there are many times when you can feel confident for a three day period. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-20-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
There is no strict definition, because a crappy sailor can do coastal on a seaworthy boat, and a really good sailor can take an inappropriate or marginal oceanic boat over the horizon.

I think you can say 24 hours x 5 knots=about 120 miles of range under sail. Most boats in the 25-30 foot range will not have enough fuel to do that without a jerrycan or three, but some will. Others will be able to handle heavy weather, while some will be light enough to make distance with little wind.

I think that the expectation of a coastal boat is usually "fun, easily driven, good for having a beer on at the end of a day". 99% of the time, a production boat for coastal cruising will cover this off really well, as most people "coastal cruising" favour fair weather and will motor under 10 knots and head for shore over 20 or four feet of waves.

So if you intend to "keep on keeping on" in the coastal mode of being out of sight of land, but within a day's sail (like going from Florida to the Bahamas, say, or Maine to Nova Scotia), you'll want a somewhat different boat and a more robust skill set than a club racing Catalina 30 owner who will look for three days of 12-18 knot winds and two foot waves before contemplating a point-to-point trip down Lake Ontario, for instance.

A "coastal" boat can expect to encounter bad weather, but of short duration and maybe medium severity. Summer squalls, for instance, can be fierce, but don't typically develop the huge and long waves of the open ocean...the fetch is too short.

This is why it's a difficult question; when people say "coastal", I assume they mean "daysailer or fair-weather cruising". There's a lot of boats up to that, but which I would hesitate to put out of sight of land or in 35-40 knots, because they might prove too tender, too light, too ill-equipped for reefing down and too lightly built in the portlight, hatch and companionway departments.
Old 03-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
There is no strict definition, because a crappy sailor can do coastal on a seaworthy boat, and a really good sailor can take an inappropriate or marginal oceanic boat over the horizon.
Two examples: Heather Neill and her Flicka didn't make it more than a day out from Florida, even though the Flicka is a proven pocket bluewater cruiser. On the other hand, Webb Chiles made it most of the way around the world in a 18' open Drascombe Lugger... not exactly the most seaworthy sailboat around...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-20-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
I think it is the waves. It takes a while for wind to generate waves large enough to be dangerous. So a coastal boat is one that is designed to be in a safe place when the waves get too large. There are tables that tell how large the waves get with a certain wind speed and amount of time. Generally I think it is 48 hours from a safe harbor. Remember being close to shore is not the same thing as being close to a safe harbor!!!! Sailing west from Panama city Florida the closest rough weather inlet is Pensacola. About 80 miles even if you are only 5 miles offshore. Bowditch has a table that predicts that a force 5 wind can produce 8' waves in less than 24 hours!!!!! BTW you can download a complete Bowditch American Practical Navigator for free . I have a copy on my laptop.

Last edited by MoonSailer; 03-20-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Two examples: Heather Neill and her Flicka didn't make it more than a day out from Florida, even though the Flicka is a proven pocket bluewater cruiser. On the other hand, Webb Chiles made it most of the way around the world in a 18' open Drascombe Lugger... not exactly the most seaworthy sailboat around...
Precisely. Just as a side note, the fellow who sold me my hulking steel boot bought a Drascombe Lugger because his wife got a job "offer she couldn't refuse", so he wanted to go from world cruiser to "push off and raise sails ASAP".

The Lugger's an interest boat for people who like a lot of sail controls...

YouTube - Drascombe Lugger "Sally Gee"

Drascombe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-22-2009

sonofasonofasailer456 is on a distinguished road
I would probably go with what my insurance co says I don't know what others say mine says 25 miles after that I'm not covered.
Old 03-22-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
The NOAA forecast goes from Coastal to Offshore at 60 nautical miles. Which would be a very long days sail for many boats. If the weather turns bad, the coastal cruiser can run for shelter, but the offshore sailor has nowhere to hide he has to ride it out.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.