Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Arghhhhh!!!!!!! Anyone find my keys????

Well, we were all ready to pull outta Bimini tomorrow morning and we went to pull the engine off the dink. We lock the outboard using a special masterlock outboard lock - hardened steel, the works - and now we can't find the key to it. Stupidly we never separated the two keys, so the spare is wherever the primary is. As a result, we can't pull the engine off the dink, and we can't tow it with the engine on. There's a short weather window to head to Nassau on Thursday and Friday, and if we don't get to South Cat Cay tomorrow we'll miss it. As far as I can find, there are no locksmiths on Bimini either. I'll be checking with the marina office tomorrow. Anyway, some updates and pics up on our blog, and our plans once we can get out of here...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Will a bolt cutter work? I have no idea how that Master is set up, Im just trying to throw out suggestions, ones you probably already thought of. Hardened might be a challenge.
Can you drill out the (lock) cylinder?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-24-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
These things are tricky they have a big steel rod thing that covers a lot of the lock except the key hole and part of the curved part where you cant get a cutter into it looks like this if its what I am thinking of, West Marine: Outboard Bracket Lock, Brass Product Display
Old 03-24-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
angle grinder, cut off disc, 10-15 seconds

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Well, we were all ready to pull outta Bimini tomorrow morning and we went to pull the engine off the dink. We lock the outboard using a special masterlock outboard lock - hardened steel, the works - and now we can't find the key to it. Stupidly we never separated the two keys, so the spare is wherever the primary is. As a result, we can't pull the engine off the dink, and we can't tow it with the engine on. There's a short weather window to head to Nassau on Thursday and Friday, and if we don't get to South Cat Cay tomorrow we'll miss it. As far as I can find, there are no locksmiths on Bimini either. I'll be checking with the marina office tomorrow. Anyway, some updates and pics up on our blog, and our plans once we can get out of here...
Just call a locksmith - $60 bucks and they will pick it...If you have AAA, it may be covered no matter what the expense is

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-24-2009
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
Perhaps you can try a large flat-head screwdriver placed between the exposed lock bolt and sliding metal cover. Using a BFH, try to pry the bolt out of the lock. Its not looking like you have many options as those locks are a very good theft deterrent.
Old 03-24-2009
I'd rather be sailing

Ummmm - Jody, that would be the American Automobile Association, not the Bahamas Automobile Association. The total population of all of the islands around Bimini is 1600. We have to take our dinghy to get to the largest town on Bimini - Alice Town - and you can walk up and back the main street in about 10 minutes. As far as I'm aware, the closest locksmiths would be in Miami (50nm across the Gulf Stream) or Nassau (110nm across the Grand Bahama Banks and the Tongue of the Ocean). Hopefully I'll be able to find a nice Bimini-ian with several good drill bits and lubricating oil so I can try to drill out the lock. Even better, maybe someone found the keys and dropped them off at the lost and found

The lock is almost completely covered by the bar, which is hardened steel. We're not getting bolt cutters or a hacksaw in. We have a Roto-Zip with a metal cutting wheel that we may try, but I'm concerned about sparks hitting the Hypalon and damaging the dinghy itself.
Old 03-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That lock isn't particularly hard to pick... any good locksmith should be able to open in a few minutes.

If you try the rotozip blade, you can always cover the dinghy with some cloth.... to protect the dinghy from the sparks.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-24-2009
I'd rather be sailing

Thanks SD... if I could find a locksmith that would be cool.

We've even checked the vacuum cleaner chamber to see if we accidentally sucked up the key!
Old 03-24-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
You will find the key 10 minutes after you have the lock cut off.