SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   _/)_ Best Sailing Locations? _/)_ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/52860-_-_-best-sailing-locations-_-_.html)

barefeetonthemoon 03-27-2009 12:49 PM

_/)_ Best Sailing Locations? _/)_

Ahoy all,

We are a couple looking for work as crew on sailboats; we have been walking the docks, posting ourselves all over the internet and contacting many charter companies worldwide with little luck so far. We wonder if this community could suggest the best locations for us to be right now to find a position on a boat. We are thinking to go to Antigua for the regatta, but are not sure if this is our best choice. Any and all advice appreciated.

May the wind be with you,

-Josh and Giulia-

billyruffn 03-28-2009 04:40 PM

Josh / Giulia,

This post probably should be moved to "Crew Wanted". Perhaps one of the moderators can help with that.

From the info you posted at Young couple seeks sailboat crew position | Yacht Crew Forum it sounds like you might need to get additional sailing experience and qualifications before you'd be attractive candidates for paid positions aboard. Charter companies would expect one of you to hold a captain's license and the other to be capable of cooking to a reasonably high standard.

Good luck.

barefeetonthemoon 03-31-2009 09:32 PM

Thanks for the clarification regarding placement. Working experience is what we are looking for, but this was not meant to be a job request listing. The question for this posting is simply; Does anyone have advice on what locations might be the best for us to put ourselves in hope of making good contacts with boats needing crew?.

steel 09-14-2010 03:13 PM

I think you two need to be looking for crew positions where you pay for your own food and other travel expenses and they let you come on their boat for free. Then after a while of doing that you can start to expand, and think about being delivery captains, or getting paid positions, or helping people learn how to sail.

rgscpat 09-15-2010 07:02 PM

If you just want sailing experience, then many yacht and sailing clubs, regattas, and cruising rallies have crew lists. And, for example, the Baja HaHa has a crew list party. If you are instead more interested in paid work right away, you might look at something like hostess or deckhand work on a superyacht and then getting the qualifications to move into more professional positions. Getting jobs in the fringes of the sailing and boating industry -- such as being a clerk in a marine chandlery or sail loft might also help you get closer to a crew job. So might volunteering for regattas. As Bellerophon said above in the first response to your post, there are some very specific qualifications required by charter companies and many other employers, so the more you know about sailing and the industry, the better you'll be able to ask the right questions.

You'll want to let people know exactly what you can do, what you want to do and learn, and why people would want to sail with you, and why sailing with you would be a safe, reliable bet.

SJ34 09-15-2010 09:23 PM

Wait for it...

CalebD 09-15-2010 10:41 PM

I can't stand the suspense!
An-tis-a-pa-yay-tion is making me wait.

Still waiting...

SJ34 09-16-2010 07:07 AM

I must have jinxed it, I was waiting for the forum police to chastise Steel for dragging up a year old post. Hey, look at that...a self fulfilling prophecy